In The River

Jate stood by the shore of the river, staring off toward the other side. Siya noticed his rigid stance and realized he must have smelt her. The water would hide her current position, but her scent still lingered on the plants and rocks at the edge.

                Siya shifted further into the shadows. What was this wolf doing out at this hour? Even she wasn't supposed to be outside. Siya could feel irritation sweep through her; Jate was turning out to be quite the troublesome wolf.

                She watched as Jate slowly sank to the ground. His arms rested on top of crossed legs and moonlight bounced off the grey of his eyes. There was something in his eyes... Siya couldn't put a name on it, but it made her stomach clench.

                Which then began to somersault at the sight of Jate stripping of his shirt. Eyes wide, Siya couldn't seem to look away.

                What is he doing?!

                Jate threw his shirt to the side and returned to his previous position. If Siya wasn't so suspicious of his actions, she would think the wolf was meditating. But so early in the morning made that seem highly unlikely.

                Jate stared into the water longingly. She wondered how long he would stay—after all, she only had a few hours until Siya needed to report for her 'official' patrol. As she watched the wolf, Siya struggled to formulate a plan on escaping without being detected. So long as Jate remained in his human form, she could escape with minimal scent detection. It would be the shifting of the water that would be her downfall.

                Part of her wondered if the wolf would enter the water with her, but she had ordered him to bathe in the bathroom facilities, and she assumed he would follow that order.

                Siya sprang back in the water as something brushed past her left thigh. A fish. Her eyes darted toward the wolf at the bank, wondering if he suspected anything from the splashing water.

                Jate tensed in response. His guard was up.

                "Who is there?" He growled, coming to his feet slowly. Jate angled his body toward the source of the noise, his eyes darting into the darkness that concealed Siya. She made no movement. Siya could only hope the shadows would continue to hide her.

                Jate let out a low, threatening growl and stalked toward Siya. "Answer me."

                Siya debated whether she should inform him of just exactly to whom he was growling at or if she should simply watch how he handled the situation.

                Her mind was made up as Jate began to strip himself of his shorts. He remained in his boxers and began to approach the shadow coverage. Siya could feel his eyes on her, but he couldn't yet make out the figure hiding in the dark.

                Jate was smart to stay in human form—smart or just lucky. Although Siya enjoyed the feel of the water racing around her body, she had had one too many experiences of being drenched in wolf form to know that water did not mix well with her beast. If someone was hiding in the water, his best guess would be to stay in human form.

                Siya watched the wolf step into the water. He was quite an intimidating Warrior when he chose to be. There was an atmosphere about him that warned Siya of the damage he could do onto her, but Siya was confident enough to know she'd hold her ground. Jate would certainly be decent competition.