Part 8

It was two days later that Maya heard any word on their next steps in approaching Vorici and getting her cub back. She had spent those days following either Monica or Wanda around the pack house being introduced to a few members and helping out in either the kitchen or aiding Monica in the infirmary tending to injured wolf pups. Maya was sitting outside in the shade of a large evergreen pine tree when Mason approached her and told her to follow him. 

He led her to the opposite side of the large, 3 storied pack house to a flat, treeless field that was occupied by several male wolves including Alpha Onyx. As they approached the group she could hear them planning and heard Lorenzo's name mentioned a few times before Mason stopped her beside the alpha wolf who looked down at her with a smile. 

"Good afternoon, Maya." he greeted her kindly, his expression nothing short of welcoming and warmth. 

"Alpha Onyx," she replied with a polite nod. 

He motioned toward the three men in front of him, all with variations of blonde hair and dark colored eyes, that were staring at her inquisitively. "These are a few of the packs best trackers. They have just returned from the Vorici pride lands after following your scent. They were just giving me a full report and I thought you would want to be here to listen in." 

"Beren," was her only reply, intently looking at the men who nodded at her. 

 The male in the center was the tallest of the group, standing possibly an entire foot plus over Maya, with dark blonde hair and dark brown almost black eyes. He was the one who took a small step forward and bowed towards Maya. 

"Princess Maya, as I was telling the Alpha before you arrived, we followed your scent north until we came across the borders put in place by many leopard males. We were able to sneak into the territory with no issue as they do not have a proper patrol in place quite yet." the other males snickered at the thought of a pride/pack not having any safety measures in place while she frowned, anyone could sneak in and grab her cub before she could. "We watched the house for twenty-four hours before making our way back here. Lorenzo was missing for the majority of our stay, but we could smell and hear an infant on the inside of the building. There was always the scent of a leopard with him but they never came outside nor could we see from the vantage point we had through any windows." 

"He is watched closely by a trusted male of the pride," Maya informed him. "I never met or saw him, I was just told how he looked by Lorenzo as he was trying to scare me." 

"There were in total twenty leopards that were in the surrounding area of that main cabin. And seeing as how none of them even knew we were there it is safe to assume it should be an easy fight and extraction for your son," the wolf gave her a gentle smile before turning his gaze to Alpha Onyx. "We should gather a troop of men and return quickly still, just in case they smarten up and actually form some sort of security." 

"Yes, I agree with you Adam. Sebastien has already been gathering our strongest fighters and they are ready to leave at my command. Let us go and find him, fill him in on your findings and ready the pack for our departure." Alpha Onyx waved them away and Mason led the trackers away toward the pack house. He then turned to look at Maya, "Will you be joining us for the attack?" 

She lowered her gaze to herself for just a moment, taking in her thin sickly looking shape hidden beneath another floor length black dress that Monica had let her borrow and sighed sadly. She would do anything to be at the front lines with Alpha Onyx, fighting for the safety of her little cub, but she knew in this state she would be of no use in the fight. But, perhaps he would still allow her to come, that way none of the men may have to bother about with an infant on their way back home. Maya lets her eyes meet Alpha Onyx's blue gray gaze, "While I am starting to feel better Alpha Onyx, I will be more of a bother in the fight. I would still like to join you, and I will stay back until the fighting is over."  

The alpha hummed down at her while thinking, "I cannot promise that someone will be able to stay by your side, but we will try our best to protect you, as long as you promise to stay far back and out of the way. I would not like to see you more hurt than you already are." 

"Of course," she replied. 

"Then let's go join the others." 

They both began to walk after the others, following them inside and down the hallway towards Alpha Onyx's office. But they continued to pass that door, and even passed her own guest room door before walking through an open set of double doors at the end of the hall. The room was very plain but housed a large conference table that was filled to the brim with male and female werewolves. They were all talking back and forth but the conversation stopped as soon as the Alpha and the female leopard walked through the threshold of the door and into the room. 

"Alpha," chorused around the room as the wolves greeted their leader. He nodded in greeting to them while Maya looked around the room and spotted Sebastien standing at the head of the room, his large hands resting on the table as he leaned forward. His piercing green eyes were locked on her and did not waver as the alpha addressed him to begin his speech of his plan. Clearly everyone in the room had been informed of the trackers findings as the room remained silent and all eyes landed on Sebastien. 

"As all of you are aware, we will be heading to the leopard pride of Vorici, to rip Lorenzo's head from his shoulders," he started, pausing to allow the wolves to snarl a word against Lorenzo. "Based on the trackers findings, it seems they are truly arrogant and expecting no one to fight back against them. Will we approached quietly, but the attack will be swift. We will give them no chance of preparation." Sebastien waved a hand towards Maya, "We also have a secondary reason for this mission, and that is to rescue Princess Maya's cub that resides in the main house on the territory. No harm will come to him, and we will kill all those that get in our way." 

Maya felt her shoulders tense and rise towards her ears as the wolves all turned to look at her at the same time. She spared them a nod before looking towards the floor, "I appreciate the packs help in getting him back. He is about 6 months old, black hair with blue eyes. He looks just like me," she said softly, but knew they heard her when they returned the nod and looked back towards Sebastien for further instructions. 

As Sebastien called names and split the group into teams, Maya was deep in her thoughts, excitement and fear at the forefront of her mind as that knowledge that soon Beren would be in her arms again, and she would never ever have to part with him.