003. HOME SWEET HOTEL ROOM.

CHAPTER THREEhome sweet hotel room

CHAPTER THREE
home sweet hotel room

⋆*✧・゚:⋆*・゚:*✧・゚:*✧・゚:

THE HOTEL OBSIDIAN, located only a few streets away from the park, was a nine-storey building that fit in among the other nine-storey buildings in the area. It was all brick with stone accents along the windows and ornately carved balconies for its patrons to relax on. Jazz music pumped from the speakers by the doors—two revolving doors—and an usher outside watched the city-goers pass by. The awning on which The Hotel Obsidian was written in gold letters was black, protruding out so far it nearly cast the entire sidewalk in shadow. With its quiet professionalism, slightly vintage build, and comforting atmosphere, it seemed more like a place Nadine would recommend—after all, she'd spent a good chunk of her life within the walls of hotels than anyone else here—than one that Klaus would. But this had been his idea, not Nadine's, so as she pushed herself through the revolving doors—along with the rest of the Umbrella Academy, making it a far more cramped experience than was typical—she couldn't help but wonder what had drawn him in.

"There were two entrances, by the way," Five chided, once they'd finally burst inside. Normally, Nadine would have pointed out that he hadn't taken the other one, but she was too busy taking in the Hotel Obsidian's interior.

The lobby was surprisingly fancy, with delicate chandeliers casting the room in a golden glow, lavish blue and gray pillars, a lounge with several comfortable-looking couches, and a bar with bubbling fish tanks behind it. Still, right away, Nadine could see elements of weirdness—a man dressed like an outback explorer, a woman that might have crawled right out of the thirties, and a rugged person with sunglasses smoking on one of the couches.

Klaus inhaled, taking in the scent of green tea and lemongrass that must have been applied generously to the area. "Oh, Hotel Obsidian, I missed you, you slutty old dame. Absorb her. Absorb her into your bosom."

Nadine did not, in fact, absorb the hotel into her bosom. She instead crossed her arms, sensing a few eyes on her. The thirties woman whispered at the man she was sitting beside. Another man, reading the newspaper, took one glance at them and covered his face.

That... wasn't customary of hotels. Nadine just had to attribute it to the fact that the Umbrella Academy still looked like shit.

Klaus kept talking. "You know, 'cause back in her heyday, she played host to world leaders. Roosevelt, Gandhi, Stalin, Gorbachev, Castro, King Olaf of Norway, one of the Kim Jongs, Tito, Dalai Lama, Elvis, and not one but two Kardashians, allegedly. Wouldn't that—where you going?"

The question tacked onto the end of his rant was directed at Allison, who had separated from the group and started to head down the hallway. Without looking back, she muttered, "I gotta make a call."