011. CRIME'S GREATEST ENEMY.

CHAPTER ELEVENcrime's greatest enemy

CHAPTER ELEVEN
crime's greatest enemy

⋆*✧・゚:⋆*・゚:*✧・゚:*✧・゚:

WHEN ASKED TO COME up with a plan, Nadine's contributions typically boiled down to 'punch them in the face'. After all, it was her go-to method of solving conflicts when she was younger—just stick the bully, homophobe, or sleazy douchebag in the nose, and they never bothered her again. And even now, even with her efforts to not always pick violence as her first choice, it still remained a fairly good option.

Unfortunately, it didn't work in every situation. Sometimes squaring up against someone a lot larger than her would not end up being the solution—rather, she could end up finding herself in scrapes far worse than the one she'd gotten into in the first place.

Now was one such example. Nadine couldn't exactly suggest 'punch them in the face' as a solution to the upcoming meeting with the Sparrow Academy, because the entire point of this all was to be diplomatic. The Sparrows were like wild animals, easily spooked. One wrong move—from Nadine or anyone else—and they would attack. Nadine wasn't particularly interested in that happening. She didn't want a repeat of what had gone down at the mansion, if only because she didn't want anyone to get hurt again.

So, when she and Viktor met up with Allison in the Games Room to discuss a plan of action, Nadine knew that, for once in her life, she would have to give a new suggestion.

She perched on the edge of the pool table, watching Allison pace back and forth. Even though she was still a little peeved-off that her friend had gone against their plan and lied to the Sparrows back at the Academy, she knew that Allison was the best person to go to when it came to negotiation. As an actress, she was used to both thinking outside of the box and conversing with people who might not have her best interests at heart. Plus, being married to a public speaker in 1963 certainly didn't hurt.

Viktor leaned on the table beside Nadine, his brow furrowed in thought. He was probably better at this than she was, as well—after all, he'd grown up believing he didn't have any abilities. In a household of six other superpowered children, he certainly needed to be creative when it came to resolving conflicts.

Still, he'd glanced to Allison for leadership. Which definitely turned out to be the right move.

"As long as the Sparrows think that we have Marcus, they won't attack," Allison said, continuing her pacing. Five steps to the left, turn, five steps to the right. "We have the advantage there. They'll have to hold their fire until he's back in their possession."

"But they're going to realize we don't have him," Viktor pointed out. "Didn't we discuss this earlier?"

"We did. But we're still going to have a window in which they still believe he's with us. We're going to take advantage of that. If we play our cards right, we can get our hands on the briefcase and get out of here before our time runs out."