chapter 12

JJ's POV:

John B and I were chilling at the chateau and there was a knock at the door. John B went to open it and he looked back at me and said, "Kook alert"

He moved to show Kie standing there.

"Dude, she's not a kook. She is but she's not like them. Let her in"

John B listened and let her inside. She looked sad. She put her stuff down and she walked right over to me and hugged me.

"What's wrong?" I asked

"My parents are pissed at me for hanging out with you. So I have nowhere to go for Christmas"

"Well, lucky for you neither do I"

"I thought you were coming to Pope's with me" John B jumped in

"Nah, go ahead" I said and John B left

"You don't have to stay here. You should go be with your friends" She said feeling guilty

"I would rather spend our second Christmas together"

She smiled and I said, "I have something for you"

I got up and told Kie to come with me. We went outside and I went to the shed and pulled out my old bike from high school. I played around with it for a second and she said, "The famous JJ Maybank hook up bike"

I laughed as girls always wanted to ride on my bike with me. I never let them. The bike to girls was hot.

"Yeah, well you already did that so you're good" I joked and she rolled her eyes and laughed

I got it started and I handed her the one helmet I had. She got on the back of the bike and wrapped her arms around me. I drove to my dads house. The house that I grew up in.

It wasn't even for sale. It was another abandoned house that was falling down. I shut the bike off and Kie took off her helmet.

"Home sweet home" I said sarcastically

"What are we doing here?" She asked confused and I told her to follow me

"My present for you is inside. I haven't been here for a long time. It's disgusting inside so I'm sorry about that"

"It's okay" She said reassuring me

We went inside and it was exactly how my dad left it. Empty bottles and cans everywhere. I brought Kie into my room and she smiled as she looked around.

"Not much of bedroom, but it was my safe place"

I dug though a box hidden in the back of my closet and I pulled out a small black velvet box. I handed it to Kie and said, "Your Christmas present"

It was a ring that belonged to my mom. She always wore it and she left it. I hid it in my room for years from my dad. I planned on keeping it, but I think Kie would appreciate it.

She opened the box and inside was a ring. It was a turtle ring. My dad gave it to my mom years ago when they started dating. It was full of real diamond and worth some money.

Kie opened the box and she was speechless

"Wow, JJ this is beautiful"

"It was my moms. I've had it hidden in my closet forever. I want you to have it"

"Are you sure?" She asked

"Yeah, the ring should be worn. Not kept in the box hiding in the closet." I said

She took the ring out and put it on her finger and smiled. She hugged me and said, "Thank you"

"Your welcome"

"I'm sorry, I don't have anything for you" She said feeling guilty

"Ehh, doesn't matter. The best gift you could give me is just spending Christmas with me"

"Our second Christmas together. This one is nothing like last year. Why did you come back home? You told me you'd never come back to OBX"

"I had nothing here that made the Outer Banks home until you came back here"

"So you came back for me?"

"Something like that" I said not wanting to do all that emotional shit

"What should we do today?" She asked me

"Binge watch Christmas movies"

"I love that idea" She smiled 

"Do you want to stay here? Or go to the chateau?" I asked

"We can stay here. If you're cool with that?"

"Yeah, there's no power"

"We can use my phone"

I sat down on my bed and got under the covers. I moved over and Kie sat next to me.

Kie asked, "What movie?"

"Whatever you want"

Kie started Elf, a classic. We were sitting in my bed together and I said, "Open the top drawer of my nightstand"

"Why?"

"Trust me, you'll like what's inside"

She leaned her and opened the drawer where I kept a stash of weed.

She said, "Seriously?" as she threw a handful of condoms at me and I started laughing

"Look a little harder" I said and she found it

She rolled the blunt and lit it and damn, she looked so hot doing this. She took a hit and handed it to me while she picked up the condoms she threw.

"Gosh, were you planning on using all these?" She asked disgusted as there were probably about 50 condoms in that drawer

"Eventually" I answered honestly

She rolled her eyes and said, "Such a man whore"

"Yeah, well you wanna know something? The reason why I've hooked up with so many girls. Why it's addicting for me? Because they make me feel wanted and loved. Something I rarely feel so don't fucking talk about it" I said annoyed and that killed the conversation

We finished watching Elf and Kie put on the Polar Express. We didn't talk and she said, "I don't want to spend Christmas fighting"

"Neither do I" I admitted

She moved closer to me and we continued the movie marathon. Her phone died and we were both starving. We got up to leave and I looked back at my bedroom and she asked, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, all good" I said turning away and wiping the tears forming in my eyes

We got on my bike and headed back to the chateau. John B and Pope were there with pizza. I grabbed a box of pizza and brought Kie to my bedroom. It was really the spare room but everyone knew it was mine.

"Please don't tell them about the ring"

"Okay" She agreed and we went back out to the living room and Kie connected her phone to the tv and we continued watching Christmas movies

She sat next to me on the couch and she even shared her blanket with me. This was progress. It was getting late and John B asked, "Damn, where'd that ring come from?"

"Oh, my parents gave it to me" She lied

We finished the movie and Pope was asleep. I gave Kie the room that was mine and I slept on the couch. Kie was leaving tomorrow to go back to school and I was scrolling online looking for flights.