Chapter 27 Caring Compassion

Fergus view

When we arrived at the estate, Mum instructed me to take the smelly trader in to have food, a bath, and clean clothes, which the man was to keep. So, I helped the man out and took him to the kitchen. Ying was there with 'Grandma' cooking food for everyone.

"Ying, we are home," I greeted her with a kiss.

She pushed me away, "There's no time for that, you silly man!" she said with a smile while putting down the tea towel that she had been holding when we had come in, "I take it, Mum wants me to take the kids?"

"Probably," I said, "All I know was I was sent here to feed this man."

Ying looked at him in horror, "Oh, you poor man!" she exclaimed, "Come in and sit down. Grandma will feed you. I have to go get the children out of the palanquin for Mama." and she sat him down on the stool, placing a bowl of water in front of him.

Seeing his confused look, "It's to wash your hands, dear," she said in explanation, "Fergus, you take over the explanations. I need to help your Mama as soon as possible. You know she always comes back in a terrible state after shopping! I do not know why she insists on doing these things. First, I better tell Xin that she is home."

"Ok," I agreed and stepped back out of her way. It continually astonished me that I was treated as a man when in my time, I was a kid - probably considered an irresponsible teenager. Here, as soon as I had been found to be General Fang's adopted son, women began to throw themselves at me. It was too much for me to handle.

When I had brought my concern to Mum, she suggested getting engaged to Ying, so I did. To my surprise and relief, the announcement of our engagement stopped all the women throwing themselves at me, enabling both Ying and I to grow at our own pace. At first, it was one of convenience for both her and me, but now it had turned to genuine affection between us.

I could imagine spending my life with her.

I just wanted to feel like a man first. At present, I still feel like a boy, very dependent on my friend's mother.

I sat down on the stool next to the man and ate with him what Grandma had brought over for us. I only ate so that he would not feel so awkward being the only one eating. It seemed to bring the man comfort.

"When do you think I could show my wares?" the man asked as he stuffed his mouth full of food.

"Oh, when Mum gets up again, I guess," I responded, "First, she wants you to settle in here by eating, then bathing and changing clothes."

"There's no need," the man objected, "I just cleaned myself with that basin water, and the clothes I am wearing still have plenty of life in them."

I smiled, "No, Mum wants you to have a proper bath. Pretend you are royalty while you are here, as everyone is required to bathe each day. Usually, though, three people share a bath, but today you will have one all to yourself. After that, you will be the third person after two family members.

We also have a standard of dress, and your rags do not fit it. Everyone who comes here is given clothes if the ones they wear are not suitable. And yours, I am afraid, are too worn. They are clearly overworn. If you really want to keep them, you can, but you will be expected to wear the pair of clothes given to you while you are here."

Bao Li view

"Pair of clothes?" I repeated in awe. I was to be given not one but two pairs of clothes! Mind you, I had not seen them yet, but after seeing all the people who had been in the yard, I imagined that the clothes they would provide would be high quality.