Chapter 55 Angels, well being and vengeance.

Xin's view

I had left Xinye to help sort out the argument between my children and Bryce's. My mother had told Bryce's children that they were the next in line when Fergus had commented, "Is that so? I would have thought it would be Yuan as he is the direct son of Baba."

From there, it fell into a free-for-all. Bryce's children had taken to heart my mother's poisonous thoughts towards my wife. I had just sorted out the mess when I heard Xinye's voice, "Goodbye, my love," She said, "Forgive them because they do not know what they do." and I felt her hug me, my shoulder receiving her kisses as she hugged me, and then she was gone.

Fergus, Ying, Sari, Weici, Yaun, Wei Li, and I looked at each other than, and we all tore towards the room where Xinye was resting. I burst into the room and ran over to her, "Xinye!" I cried, pulling her lifeless body into my arms, "Don't leave me, Xinye, Xinye!"

My children seeing their mother was dead, tugged on Fergus's arm, "Take us back, Uncle Fergus," they spoke in English, "Mum is dead now. We should not be here to see this."

I think they were reacting to my outpouring of grief, and I was wailing and crying and overall nothing like the father they knew. "You're right," Fergus said, "Let's go. I think we should pack and go back home. Mum would want to be buried at home." so they went and packed.

"How could this happen?" I asked Weici and Sari through my tears.

Weici then noted the rice bowl beside our bed, "Did you bring her that Sari or Xin?"

I shook my head, and Sari said, "I did not."

"I didn't either," Ying said too, making us aware she was still here, "I'll go see if anyone knows who brought it then."

Weici smelt the rice and tasted it but did not ingest it, "This rice has been poisoned, I think." 

"Let me see," Sari said, taking the bowl from his hands, and she stirred it a bit, "Yes, it has been. There is an oily residue at the bottom, unlike regular rice." 

A wave of anger flitted across her face, "Weici, let us go make sweet rice cakes with this rice."

Weici nodded, and the pair left me to grieve alone. A deep murderous rage filled me, but to look at me, I had become calm. I lay my wife's body down and wiped her clean, putting on her formal dress, ready to be transported for burial. When this was done, I kissed her. The realisation she had gone set in then as I was no longer kissing her but a receptacle that was now empty. What gave her life was gone.

Then a man in white appeared before me, his face was shining and peaceful, and I felt the need to bow to him. He spoke as I bowed, "Xin, I am taking Xinye's body to the cold room of your manor. Do what you must do, and then come and bury her with your family."

The man disappeared then, along with Xinye's body. Ying came in with a girl then, their eyes wide in fear, "What was that?" they asked.

"I do not know, but I would guess it was something to do with Xinye's God. Perhaps one of his angels?"

"So, she was so beloved by her god that he took her body?" Ying assumed.

"No, he took her body to our cold room at home to allow me time to do what I need here," I corrected her misunderstanding. Now, who is this?" I looked at the woman and smiled, hiding my rage. Hiding my anger was easy, as I had plenty of practice before meeting Xinye.

"This is Aoi. She saw who delivered the rice," Ying said before speaking to the woman, "Go on, tell him what you saw."

I nodded at her and smiled to encourage her to speak as I could see she was extremely nervous, so nervous I could see she was going to run rather than tell me. "It is alright. I give you my word as heir to this estate; you will not be harmed or punished for telling me. What did you see?"