Chapter 8

I ripped myself away from Travis' arm.

"TAYLORS!"

"Oof, we're on surname basis now, are we?"

"Now James thinks we've been doing the hanky-panky!" 

I dragged a hand along my face in stress. Soon, the whole school would be gossiping. Drama like this was what high schoolers were vultures for.

"Hanky-panky?"

Travis was doubling over in laughter. I scowled. In solving one problem, he has created another.

"Shut up."

That only triggered more laughter. How could he laugh about this? We weren't even involved in such a way.

"I have a reputation to protect!" I huffed.

"A reputation of not doing the hanky?"

I glared daggers.

"Relax, he's not going to spread things like this. If anything, he'd rather bring this to his grave."

I folded my arms. "How would you know?"

"James Presley always gets what he wants. Now, he's upset that he didn't get you. That's why he was so adamant on getting close to you. He saw you like a prize. And I couldn't let that happen."

Travis' tone turned a little more sombre, and he had a faraway look as he popped a popcorn into his mouth.

So that was why he kept bugging me non-stop? I was a prize?

"How do you know that?" I repeated.

"Guys talk girls. He said he could get any girl he wanted. One of my teammates challenged him with you. He said, 'easy peasy'. Said the two of you already had something going on."

My mouth hung in horror. He was worse than a douchebag.

"What a slimy toad," I spat disgustedly.

And then there was a giggle. I looked up in disbelief to see a grin cracked on Travis' face. Travis was giggling? Like a schoolgirl? If all the girls who fawned over this macho-man caught this moment. I actually wouldn't know if they would sigh lovingly or be really turned off.

"What? You're not off the hook, Taylors," i growled.

"Nothing, I just love your vocabulary."

I rolled my eyes.

"So there won't be any rumours?"

"Rumours of what?"

"Rumours of us. Doing anything indecent."

"Why would you worry about that?"

I scoffed.

"You're the high school playboy! I'm not going to have anyone think I'm another one of your conquests!"

A flash of hurt. So minuscule, but I saw it.

"Is that what you think you are to me?"

His voice was now a low whisper. I faltered, shocked by the sudden change of mood. Was he offended?

"I don't know."

"You're not."

"Okay."

He wasn't satisfied. He took one step towards me. And another. And with every step he took towards me, I took a step back until I was cornered to the wall. My breath hitched as my back hit the cool surface.

"Don't you dare 'kabedon' me," I warned, but my voice was hoarse.

He didn't listen. His hands were on either side of my face in a millisecond and his gaze so intense, I could disintegrate.