X

☽ 。・:*˚:✧。 ☽

The inside of the house was warm. The wood paneling on the floors and walls was chestnut brown with long, intricately patterned rugs on the ground and ornate couches and tables decorating the space. The tall dark green plants scattered around and the orange glow from the lamps made the space seem inviting yet slightly eerie.

In the center of the room, a long dining table held heaps of food. Diana's stomach grumbled loudly. She saw candy, cupcakes, chocolate-covered strawberries, scones, cookies, and other delicious things she couldn't even name.

"You must be hungry!" Medusa's voice came from where Diana assumed the kitchen was. "I left snacks on the table while I get something proper going." 

"You think it's safe to eat?" Percy whispered. Grover's gaze was locked in on the food.

"Percy, I'm not going to lie to you, I'm really hungry, and I'm ready to take that chance."

Diana heard the door close and turned to see Annabeth trudge in looking like she'd rather be anywhere but there.

"Thanks for coming," Percy said. Annabeth glared at him.

"This isn't the same for me as it is for you."

"Why?"

"You're concerned I would hold a grudge against you simply because you are a daughter of Athena?" The four of them turned away as soon as they heard Medusa's voice. From her peripheral, Diana could see her set down a pitcher of lemonade on the table. "You shouldn't be. We're not our parents after all. You and I might have more in common than you think." Annabeth stayed silent, but Diana could see her anger deepen.

Medusa ventured back to the kitchen emerging seconds later with a bowl in her hand. She set the bowl in front of the seat Diana was standing by. Out of her curiosity and the hunger clouding her judgment, Diana looked inside the bowl.

She froze, confused. Her instinct was to whip her head up to look at Medusa, but quickly reminded herself it was not the best idea. Medusa seemed to notice Diana's reaction because she giggled. Her laugh was light and sweet and Diana had to stop herself from smiling at the sound.