Nothin But Trouble

2,500 years later...

A brand new day in inkwell Isle, everyone in town was living their lives normally. It was a completely normal day, and you could definitely tell it was a normal day whenever you see the Cuphead brothers getting into trouble as usual. 
"MUGMAN RUN!!" Shouted Cuphead as he and his brother Mugman ran from an angry person who was chasing after them "GET BACK HERE! I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU BOTH!" He shouted, Cuphead and Mugman were just luckily able to get away, then Mugman asked "What did you do to tick him off like that?" And Cuphead replied "All I did was say his store looked like it was made on a small budget, didn't think it would make him that mad!" Mugman sighed and said "Well that went poorly, there goes any chances of getting a job there, cross that one off the list." Cuphead then said "Look Mugs, I'm tired, can we go home now please?!" Mugman then said "But what about getting a job so that way Elder Kettle doesn't have to take care of us on his own?" Cuphead then replied "I really don't wanna talk about that again, please?" Mugman sighed and said "Alright lets go home."

Later, the brothers arrived at a cottage in the woods and went inside, "We're home!" said Cuphead. They arrived in the living room and found Elder Kettle sitting there reading the newspaper, he saw them and said "Oh hello boys. Did you find a job?" Cuphead shook his head no as Mugman said "Cuphead got us into trouble again." Then Elder Kettle replied "Again boys? How many times are you gonna do this?" Mugman then said "Ok I really don't wanna have this discussion again ok?" Elder Kettle then said "I get it, I'm old, and because of that I can't get myself a job and it's been up to me to take care of you boys, I get that you both don't want me doing that all on my own and you want to support the family by getting a job, but you're both being reckless, that's why you haven't gotten a job, it's not as easy as you think. I want you both to listen to me, you need to be more responsible, you're lucky you haven't gotten yourselves into trouble with the police, I don't want to lose you boys, you're all I have." Cuphead sighed and said "You won't Elder Kettle." And then the three of them gave each other a group hug. Later, Cuphead and Mugman returned to their rooms. Mugman thought for a moment and said "Do you think Elder Kettle was right about us being reckless?" Cuphead looked at him and said "Nonsense, we're not reckless!" But Mugman said "But all we do is get into trouble, come on Cup, think about this, Elder Kettle is too old to work and if we don't get jobs soon, we'll be all out of money and Elder Kettle will lose this house and he won't be able to take care of us anymore. We need to take things more seriously." Cuphead looked at him and said "I totally take things seriously!" But Mugman frowned and said "No you don't you're usually the reason we never get hired!" Cuphead made a shocked expression and said "Oh so you puttin the blame on me now huh?" Mugman was silent before saying "Sigh... what would Mom and Dad say about this?" Cuphead looked down and said "...I don't know.... they're gone. They died when we were toddlers remember?" Cuphead finally looked at Mugman and said "Ok Cups, you have my word that next time we go out to find a job, I'll be on my best behavior ok?" Mugman crossed his arms and asked "Promise?" Cuphead replied "I promise!" Mugman smiled.

Meanwhile, somewhere in Inkwell Isle, the Devil's Casino was thriving, the Devil is still going around collecting people's souls through contracts, and no one has dared to stand up to him, especially with the Calix Animi wiped out. Although Chalice was still out there, she served no threat. As for the Devil, he found a new way to get people's souls, he made the casino to scam them with a ton of money! All they have to do is sign a contract and play some games that rely on bets, but the games are rigged to make you lose, and when that happens, the Devil takes your soul. In the Devil's throne room, King Dice, his assistant entered the room and said "My lord, we've captured several hundred souls today. Things have been super productive lately." The Devil grinned and said "Great, but have any of you found the legendary Chalice yet?" King Dice gulped and said "Um... no sir." The Devil was angry, he got up from his throne and pointed his trident at him shouting "The Legendary Chalice is the last surviving member of the Calix Animi! She might not be a fighter anymore but she escaped from hell! And now my boss from hell is still pissed at me and now I cannot be allowed to return to hell unless I capture her and 500,000 more souls! I need to pay off my debt to him or else I'm stuck in this stupid world forever!" Kind Dice was fearing for his life a little and said "I understand sir, but Chalice keeps using her ghost abilities to escape us! She keeps running, and we have no way of catching her!" The Devil was not happy with this and then said "The Legendary Chalice cannot be allowed to evade me ever again! She's been a thorn in my side since day 1, and she still is! I have to catch her and take her soul! I must!" King Dice nodded his head and said "S-Sure thing sir, I'll get right on it." He quickly made his way back outside, the Devil sat back down and said to himself "You cannot run forever Chalice. I hope you know that."

Meanwhile somewhere in Inkwell Isle, somewhere in a dark ally was the Legendary Chalice, or Ms. Chalice now. She's been hiding alone in the alley for years now, she's had to move locations several times before because at some point the Devil's henchmen caught her, and now she's hiding in Inkwell Isle, she hopes she can stay hidden but hey, if the Devil finds her again, she can just run off again, she's been doing it for 2,500 years after all. Ms. Chalice got up from her sleeping bag and then walked outside the alley. "Ah, another day, now then, let's see how many of these fella's I can fool today?" She said with a smile as she walked down the sidewalk in a very cheerful mood, over the many years that went by, Ms. Chalice picked up some new things she could do for a living, she learned how to do some really nice tapdancing skills and gained a huge sense of charm that she uses to get everyone to give her things completely for free. She acts like she is happy, but deep down, she just uses her charm to hide her pain, and her trauma of the past, and knowing that she is the last of her kind.

(To be continued...)