🍁 Four : Once Beg His Name

ONCE BEG HIS NAME

ONCE BEG HIS NAME

March 18th, 1987

Genevieve peered at her teacher, then down at her workbook. The teacher gestured to the response she had penned.

She hesitated, unsure of the accuracy of her answer.

At the tender age of seven, Genevieve was a homeschooled child, excelling academically under the guidance of Mrs. Johnson. Her parents were at work, leaving her alone with her studies.

"You've got them right!" Mrs. Johnson exclaimed, relieving Genevieve. "Why not try the next question on your own? Let's see how well you grasp the topic without my help."

Genevieve nodded and diligently tackled the subsequent problems.

As she wrestled with the math challenges, Mrs. Johnson prepared for Genevieve's homework, leaving Genevieve appearing a bit lost without her usual study companion.

"Take your time, Evie. I'll be in the restroom, won't be long," Mrs. Johnson announced, standing up.

Alone, Genevieve whispered a secret plea, "Evan, please. Please come back to me. I need your help; I'm begging you," her eyes closed in silent supplication.

"Evie?"

Genevieve and a little boy turned towards the hallway, where Vincent stood in bewilderment. Before she could look back at the child, he vanished. She turned to her husband.

"Are you okay?" he asked, concerned.

Genevieve nodded. "You're back," sidestepping his question and diverting to another topic.

"Uh, yeah, um, just been to the store to get some groceries," Vincent stated. "Thought you might starve, so I bought you some food."

Genevieve nodded with a simple 'oh.'

Vincent, as if testing the waters, repeated his question, "Something odd when I got home. Anything happen while I was away?" he inquired, stepping into the living room.

Before she could respond, Genevieve, pretending to organize things, tried to gather her thoughts.

"I even heard you... screaming at the window. Is everything all right?" he continued.

Genevieve paused, then turned to him. "I am not. Everything is fine. Nothing is happening at all," she assured.

"Are you sure?" he pressed. "There's a lady next door. She even knows my name. Have you talked with her this morning?"

Genevieve stood up straight and exhaled. "Yeah, we do. She came by this morning and gave us brownies she made. Then, we began to get to know each other after that," she explained. "There's brownies in the kitchen if you want some."

Vincent nodded, remaining suspicious. Genevieve took the grocery bag from him.

"Let's eat," she breathed out, leading him to the kitchen.