Mixtape

You sat in your room, finishing your mixtape for Eddie. Today. Today would be the day you told him about your crush on him. Or...maybe tomorrow would work? No. You would stick to the plan--give him the cassette, he would listen to it, and then you would tell him. You placed the tape in the Walkman you had gotten for him and wrapped it, writing on the package, Eddie <3. Just as you set the pen down, you heard the doorbell ring. "I got it!" You yelled, running for the front.
You opened the door and immediately felt yourself turn a hundred shades of red. "Hey, Y/n," he said, walking into the house. "Hi, Eddie," you said quietly. Your dad waved at him, "Hey Munson!"
"Hi, Mr. L/n."
"Just going to hang out?"
"Of course."
He waved you off while your stepmother made dinner. She didn't seem to notice as you both walked into your bedroom, keeping the door three inches open. That was your dad's only rule when boys were over--besides the obvious don't have sex. "Oh, Eddie. I got you something, as a belated birthday gift," you said. He smiled and asked, "Do I have to close my eyes for this?"
"You don't."
You handed him the package and he opened it gently. "A mixtape? You made this?" He asked, examining it. You nodded and said, "Listen to it." He placed the headphones over his ears and pressed the play button on the Walkman. You barely heard the music play but you could tell that Saving all my Love for You by Whitney Houston was playing. You had compiled a bunch of love songs for him. It went on to Pictures of You by the Cure, and was halfway through before Eddie paused. Your face blanched. "I see what you're doing here, sweetheart."
"Wha--What do you mean?"
"You have a crush on me don't you?"
You didn't answer. Instead you bit your nail and looked down. "You're answering the question by not answering the question," he said with a smile in his voice. "I'm sorry, Eddie. And it's okay if you don't like me, I know you probably like Chrissy--"
"Wait. Pause. You think I like Chrissy?"
"Yeah! I mean, you guys look so happy together..."
"Chrissy is dating Jason. Or she was, I don't know, I don't know her dating life. I like you! Why else do you think I hang out with you so much? Why else do you think I bother you in Spanish all the time?"
"I just thought that was what friends did.."
"Well, yeah, but we can be more than friends, sweetheart. That is, if you want to."
"I would love that," you said, scooching next to him. He smiled and placed one headphone on your ear so you could listen. He kissed your cheek and you returned the favor.
There was nothing in the world that I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
There was nothing in the world that I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
My pictures of you