Summary Challenge

Another summary? GAHHH!

Now that you've finished rolling your eyes, we will explain why curating a summary (synopsis) during the writing process is beneficial. Not only does it give you a nice road map of your plot points, but if you intend to send your novel around to agents and publishers someday, you will have to write one anyway.

A summary can be as informal as you want it to be, especially with the first draft. You can approach it as a free writing exercise; like you're telling yourself a story, or at least how you envision the story to go. Don't worry about the story structure at this point. If you aren't entirely sure about certain parts, you can include side notes to yourself to figure out later. Just get the bulk of the story highlights on the page and worry about polishing it once you've finished writing the story.

You certainly are not required to do this. In fact, some of you may have already scrolled to the next chapter. We're merely offering it up as a device for putting your vision into words before they float away. 

If you choose to, you can share your summary in our #summary-challenge channel on Discord or here in the comment section. Community feedback is voluntary, so please do not expect it. And please be courteous with your input.

Online resource for creating a fill-in-the-blanks process for your synopsis (link in comments)  https://publishingcrawl.com/p/how-to-write-a-1-page-synopsis

com/p/how-to-write-a-1-page-synopsis