Chapter 1

It was his task, as far as he knew, as the sole living member of his family, it was his obligation, first as his brother, second as a demon slayer, Michikatsu, could he even call his brother by that name anymore...

It had been an agonizing 60 years since he had seen him, sure those years were eventful, but the thought of his brother was always there though, Yoriichi fought himself not to think of how his brother looked nowadays, and the feeling was mutual.

Kokushibo had pictured his brother dead, but his imagination had been proved wrong, as what he was witnessing now was something much worse, a walking corpse, something that should never exist, a man so powerful stood in front of him, that even the fabled demon curse mark couldn't take him out, Kokushibo finally believed the tale that his brother could have inflicted so much damage to 'That Man'

The first Kizuki pondered what type of different monster Yoriichi Tsukiguni was at his prime, undoubtedly Kokushibo would have faltered in front of him, and even as he stood, at his ripe old age, in front of death's doorstep, Kokushibo wasn't sure he could take The Sun Breathing Hashira.

"I'm so sorry", His words came off as shaky, was this man really going to cry," I truly have failed you, brother", Those words stung like a spear piercing his very core, this...abomination of god felt sorry for him, pitied him?

Kokushibo couldn't think for much longer though, as he felt an insane amount of pain ripple through his neck, the veins that pumped his mixture of demonic blood burned at their ends,' What the hell just happened, Kokushibo asked himself, was that Yoriichi?

The Demon turned to face his younger brother, his wrinkles were now wet with his tears, his irises widened as they slowly became lifeless," Why you?", Kokushibo spat out, sheathing his blade at an alarmingly fast speed, one that even The Hashira would be envious of, second only to Yoriichi.

His lifeless face said it all, he was...and always would be, better, and even now, as death scythed through his cells, it couldn't bring Yoriichi to his knees, he still stood strong, barely even stumbling forwards, as his soul ripped itself from his body...

Yoriichi had made terms with The Grim Reaper eons ago, after he had almost killed Muzan, he accepted that death was inevitable, not wanting to become as his brother did, he accepted that his years were limited, and when death inevitably cut him down-because nothing else could-he mustered himself a smile, was he proud of his legacy? No, not by far, he had failed, in both reaping the world of Muzan, and his own sins, his brother was to roam as a Demon for centuries, because HE had failed, HE had brought Michikatsu to feel so inferior, HE was at fault, could he truly die, if his life's work was so unfulfilling? He felt desolate, as his vision blurred, the disturbing figure of Michikatsu stood before him, his six eyes glaring daggers, as he prepared to strike him down, Yoriichi's smile wasn't because of his life's work, it was because...Thinking his last thought,' Michi, I truly love you'.

It was a lie, what they said, your life doesn't flash before your eyes as you die, he was glad though, it would rip at his soul if he could see his failures again, failing to protect his mother, his wife, although he was forced into that marriage, his children, who although he loved, he couldn't wire his brain to be a parent, he loved them because they were meant to carry on his legacy of Sun Breathing, instead, they were all cut down, by the only person he truly loved, Michi, was a bloodthirsty demon, and his legacy was now scattered among mountain tops, people who he feared would delude The Dance, would humanity ever produce someone as close to Muzan in scale as it had with Yoriichi, he doubted it.

He had failed...

And as his vision became a blinding ray of white, that consumed his very being, he yearned, for one more chance, one more opportunity, a small part of him shouted at himself, that he didn't care for the world, that he was merely afraid of death, that he would be forgotten...

"Y/n", A voice as sweet as his mother's flew in through his very human eardrums.

He was lifted, by a gentle pair of hands, they grasped at him with such force, yet they were so gentle. As his body moved in accordance with the woman's-he assumed- grasp his vision was no longer white, but instead, a bright ray of sunlight hit his cornea, then another, and then another, and so on, until he could make out his surroundings.

His face had been plunged in some snow, had he fallen over?

"Kie", Another voice spoke, this one was a man's.

"Give him to me", The man spoke, Y/n's face lit up, the man possessed crimson red hair, and crimson red eyes, had he been reborn as someone else?

"I told you we shouldn't have taken him with us Tanjuro", Kie blurted out as Tanjuro got closer, the red-haired man didn't even dignify her statement with a response, considering the alternative.

He gratefully left his mother's grasp-his two realities were blending with one another slowly and moved onto his father's.

"There you go", His father said as he wiped the snow off Y/n's face," Who's my strong little guy?", Tanjuro asked him as his father hugged him, it was his first time truly hugging his father, Yoriichi never did, and this feeling, although it felt so alien, filled him up with something he ever got to feel only once in his previous stint of existence, true love," I am", Y/n squealed as he wrapped his arms around his father's collarbone, shoving his head onto his shoulder," I am", He repeated as Tanjuro gave off a strong laugh, one coming from deep inside his larynx," That's right", Y/n moved off his father, still in his arms.

"Now, will my strong little guy be helping me cut some firewood later today?", Tanjuro asked as he started moving uphill, Y/n nestled in his arms, feeling safe from the world.

Y/n lifted his arms, although he was small, his arms were weak-or maybe they had been freakishly strong as Yoriichi-cutting firewood would be a surefire way of strengthening them.

"Yeah I will", Y/n spoke as he let himself be consumed by another feeling of love, his eyes met those of his mother's, she had a sweet smile on her soft face, and her eyes screamed with love, he felt another rush, this one was much more familiar though, and it changed his demeanor for a moment, He was going to protect them at all costs.