CHAPTER TWO

I called out to the familiar people in front of me. They turned, so I could now see their faces. Natasha, Bruce, Clint, Thor, Tony, Steve and Loki. I said in my mind, even though it sounded like I said it out loud.

"Why are you here?" I asked. But my voice wasn't normal. It came out like a frightened whisper. Weird. Their faces didn't move or change, in fact they seemed to be frozen.

I took a tentative step closer. "Hey, guys?" I called out into the black. For, that was what it was. All around me, except for the Avengers and Loki standing in front of me, it was black, nothing, empty.

Suddenly, scenes started to flash before my eyes, and I watched with extreme curiosity. It seemed to be scenes of my past, memories, as you might call them.

But why would I be seeing them now? I looked back at the people standing in front of me. They still seemed unmoved, but something was off. I couldn't quite put my finger on it. They were . . . fading.

That's it. They were fading away. I screamed, stepping towards them, trying to grab them, and make them stay. But, as I desperately tried to reach them, they only seemed further away.

Now, they were gone, and all was left was my memories that kept flashing before me. I stood back and watched them. Some of them I don't remember, others, I remember all too well.

One scene flashed before my mind, and was permanently imprinted there. Blood, everywhere. All over me, all over the floor, the sink, the mirror. My blood.

Then, my memories started to fade, the flashed became less and less, and then they were all gone.

"Hello? Where am I?" A voice called out in the eerie darkness. I turned around only to see myself. No, it was not a mirror, but some kind of clone.

I stepped towards myself. This was getting weird, like really weird. "Hey." I whispered, for that seemed like the only thing I could do. The other me widened her eyes as she saw me.

"I - I don't know you." Her, my, voice pathetic and wimpy, not like my usual confident tone. I took another step closer, but stopped when the other me, the confused and pathetic one, screamed, shattering the dream.

*

Gasping, I grabbed at the hands that were tightly gripping my shoulders. "Avallone!" A familiar voice said. I opened my eyes and stared at the red head before me. Natasha.

My tongue was stuck to the roof of my mouth and I couldn't speak. Sitting up, I looked around my room. It was no longer black, like the dream, but normal, like how I had left it.

My dream. It was - it was . . . I can't remember. I smacked my head, trying to recall the fading dream, but nothing came. Why does this always happen when I do want to remember a dream?!

"What are you doing? Stop it!" Nat yelled, grabbing my hands and thrusting them beside me. Finally, I found my tongue. "Why are you here?' I asked my best friend.

Natasha sat herself down on my bed. "I heard you screaming, and since I'm next door, I got here before anyone else. You're lucky I did too, otherwise you'd have our driver in your room while your having a nightmare."

"Nightmare?" I breathed, surprised. I didn't count that dream, whatever it was about, a nightmare. It just left a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach, not the feeling of fear though, but something along the lines of awe.

The red head nodded in agreement. "Now, normally it would be four in the morning in New York, but here it's around nine, so I suggest getting up, even though your body won't be adjusted to this time zone yet."

"I wouldn't be able to get back to sleep anyway." I mumbled as I pulled the covers off myself and walked to the wardrobe. "I'll meet you downstairs for breakfast in half an hour." Natasha called over her shoulder as she walked out of my room.

Walking into the wardrobe, I surveyed the rows and rows of clothes. They all had a business air to them, which was obviously needed for my mission.

After a few minutes of searching, I finally chose a white blouse and a long grey skirt with matching grey boots. I took a simple pair of earring studs, and one bracelet before walking down to the dining room.

*

Eagerly, I dug into the bacon and eggs on toast. Mine was almost dripping with maple syrup, the way I liked it, while Natasha and Ronald's, who I learned was our driver, only had the tiniest bit of syrup.

"You do realise that no owner of a professional business would use as much maple syrup in their whole life, as you used on one single piece of toast." Natasha commented as she lifted a piece of egg on toast to her mouth gracefully.

I sighed, taking a bite ravenously. She was so perfect at this, while I was, just average. Yeah, she had done this a lot of times, but still, at least I could do better.

And, I will! I will do so much better that I'll shame Natasha out! I made a quiet resolution to myself as I chewed thoughtfully. From now on, I will act like a perfect professional business owner, who knows what she is doing.

"Today, we will start by just getting the hand of the business, sorting through everything. We will actually be managing a business, so you'll have your input too. The fact that you have managed your own business before will help." Natasha said, sipping her orange juice. Who drinks orange juice with their breakfast? Wait, business people do.

I lifted my glass up to my lips and gracefully let the liquid poor into my mouth. Yum. "O f course. That sounds like a good idea." I said, smiling to myself because I sounded like a professional. I could get used to this.

Nat and Ronald smiled at each other. Obviously, in their eyes, I was improving already. "You're already doing better." Natasha whispered, leaning towards me.

Instinctively, I pushed her away, and sent her a pretty convincing glare. "It's rude to whisper." I stated, taking a small bite of my toast. Ronald burst into laughter while Nat just smiled.

"That's a good start for the day." Ronald said, pushing back from the table. And so, my mission begins.