Awsten walked through the rain, not with a purpose, and definitely not waiting for someone to catch up with him. His jeans were a darker shade of blue and hugged his legs more than before, the grey sweater he had on looked heavy from the weight of the water. His eyes looked tired, puffy from crying and dark circles from sleepless nights. Awsten was worse than how he was before her, this was his first time out of the house in two weeks after the breakup and countless breakdowns.

He entered the air-conditioned Target, leisurely strolling through the aisles pretending he wasn't cold- or dripping like a wet dog. Nothing really caught his eye, he was more there to pass the time. Awsten remembered that fruit bowl that mostly sets empty in his kitchen and decided to buy some weird looking fruit for it. Scanning the aisle for whatever would look nice, he found something else; maybe even something nicer.

A girl. A girl that was the most beautiful he thought he'd seen. She put her to shame.

He debated following her, but that'd be stalkerish. He did, however, move closer, making his way past the broccoli and oranges that felt like they stretched on forever. The girl was leisurely picking through the apples, her neatly cut curtain bangs framed her face as she looked down. Awsten began reaching for a few apples since there was a comfortable amount of room next to her. She looked over at him a gentle smile playing upon her features before she strolled away to another aisle.

Awsten sighed, he really felt like finding her. It'd be easy enough to play off, right? He thought about his idea as he mindlessly placed bananas and pears in his basket before walking off to find her.

He lapped the store a few times, searching the aisles manically. Eventually, he gave up, he was being really creepy and it was even weirding him out at this point. He checked himself out before calling Geoff, he'd know what to do.

Awsten was walking to his car, hearing his phone ring repetively a few times before a familiar voice could be heard on the other end.

"Oh my god, Geoff, I just saw the prettiest person at target. I can't find her and I don't know what to do so I might just go home and write about it." Awsten sounded excited, maybe even overenthused at this point. Geoff had just gotten done doing dorky ass dad shit so he just kinda told Awsten to go for it.

"Thanks Geoff! You're lowkey the best, Ottos getting kicked." Awsten hung up before Geoff could even say goodbye. The car ride back to his apartment was a massive blur, even in LA traffic. He couldn't get her out of his head only he knew he had to eventually. Awsten ran a hand through his hair as he sighed deeply taking his exit off the highway. He drove by countless buildings, offices, happy couples walking in the street, coffee shops. It took a whole hour to get back to his apartment, which wasn't too bad for LA but when you want to write an obsessive love song that's a really long time.

The key twisted in the lock and the door to his apartment swung open. As much as Awsten loved the apartment and the space that came with it, it sometimes made him feel lonely. Yeah, sure, his friends would stay over and that was fun but he missed having someone to live in it with completely.

He started playing chords on his piano until he found something he enjoyed. Initially he was just ad-libbing nonsense, but eventually her face entered his mind and with her face came thoughts.

"I'd like to know your middle name,
Let's talk about your parents and your future dreams,
I'm interested but distant 'til we all,
And I never want to complicate your heart."

The song's first verse had been written, and Awsten couldn't stop writing.

"I gotta let you know,
That I think I love you so,
You could be my only one,
Cause I think that I love you so."

Awsten scribbled the pre-chorus onto his notepad before he began hitting the keys again. He needed to come up with a good chorus, if it gets on this next album she might hear it. He had awhile before he had to worry about her hearing, largely because this was one of the first songs written. He didn't even have enough for an album board yet nor did he know if the song would make the cut.

"I know we only just met,
So why'd I feel invested,
Do you feel it too?
Do you feel it too?
I could be your best yet, future favorite regret,
Do you feel it too?
Do you feel it too?
So I'll just tell my telephone all of the above when I'm alone,
So I'll just tell my telephone all of the above when I'm alone."

His vocals echoed through his apartment as he glanced out his window at LA, thinking of what to say next.

"I talk a lot but we can fill your frames,
With pictures of our faces 'til we share a name,
I'm livin' on a target and you shot it with an arrow now I lost my self-control and I can't stop thinkin"
And I'm thinkin' that I lost it
All of the aisles
Feel like miles
Where you go,
I'll follow"

Awsten was smiling, for the first time in weeks. Just the thought of her made him feel less alone. The white walls of his apartment didn't feel so bland anymore, the space didn't feel empty.

"I know we only just met,
So why'd I feel invested,
Do you feel it too?
Do you feel it too?
I could be your best yet, future favorite regret,
Do you feel it too?
Do you feel it too?
So I'll just tell my telephone all of the above when I'm alone,
So I'll just tell my telephone all of the above when I'm alone."

Awsten had finished, since he'd been recording he already had his idea recorded. Now all he had to do was make a formal demo.

He opened his MacBook, the time read 11:11 PM, his apartment was mostly dark except for the lamp by his workspace.

"Alexa, turn living room lights to dim." He spoke to his virtual assistant which swiftly responded to his request.

"Alright, setting lights to dim." It replied in a feminine robotic voice as the lights faded up.

He opened reaper and began messing with the chords and different sounds, recorded different vocal takes, vocal effects, added guitar, drums, some claps (that were all him standing various distances from the mic because he insists on doing everything the hard way.)

It was 11:11 when he was done, a sigh of happiness escaped his lips as he listened to his work. It was gonna be harder to let her go than he thought. Awsten really felt they could've worked, but rather than acknowledge his thoughts he got out of his chair, took his shirt off, and went to bed.