Starfish Ch. 1 - Plans Change (Upton!sister!reader)

άγγελε μου - my angel

Hailey left home at 12:01 pm on her eighteenth birthday and never went back. The previous night was the last time she saw her father. She kept in contact with her mom for another two years, but she couldn't keep doing it. Her mom was a victim too, she knew that, but Hailey couldn't keep trying to get her mom out and away from her abuser only for her mom to back out at the last minute and stay with him. The guilt kept her up at night sometimes, knowing that the abuse had gotten worse because her mom was now the only person for her dad to take out his anger on now.

After she first moved out, she avoided Greektown like the plague. The only times she was ever willing to actually go there, it was to meet her mom for coffee as far away from the family restaurant as possible. After she cut her mom off, she stopped going to Greektown entirely for the next six years, and when she did go it was for large street festivals and she stayed as far away from her family's restaurant and childhood home as possible.

So when she and Jay were woken up at 7:23 am on what was supposed to be their day off and were told by Voight to show up at the small tailor shop directly across the street from her family's restaurant, she wanted to cry. Jay, being the loving and supportive husband he is, immediately offered comfort. "We're usually pretty quick at crime scenes, we'll be in and out. Maybe you could wear a disguise of some kind?"

She took a breath and thought for a moment before sighing. No. "Thanks, Jay, but... I'm an adult now. A cop. I'm not the same scared, defenceless little girl I used to be. Plus, I know the owners of that tailor shop, they and quite a few of the local residents speak primarily Greek, I'll be needed to translate... But... Moral support and coffee would be appreciated."

"Alright. If that's what you need, consider it done."

Jay's smile and a peck on the lips made what was starting to be a terrible day, suck significantly less.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thankfully, the crime they were called to investigate wasn't a murder- Hailey has seen lots of horrible things but she didn't want to think about having to look at the corpse(s) of the sweet Admos'- it was instead a break-in. The only reason Intelligence had been called in to investigate was because the thieves were leaving dead pigeons all around the stores they robbed. Not the most illegal act, but certainly unnerving. The papers were having a field day with them, so naturally, the mayor yelled at the superintendent, who yelled at the chief, who yelled at the captain, who yelled at Voight, who yelled at them.

She rehearsed her plan in her head; head up, eyes on the scene, do NOT look at the restaurant and leave as quickly as possible. And when she got out of the truck she did just that. She walked into the crime scene, head held high, walked straight into the crime scene to console and question Mr. and Ms. Adamos, make observations, and did not look at the cursed restaurant... Until she was headed back to the truck. She didn't look over consciously, no, her father screaming was what caught her attention.

"YOU STUPID GIRL! YOU CAN DO NOTHING RIGHT!" The poor girl looked to be a teenager, and Hailey's heart just sunk. You kept your head down and your voice low, just like she used to, you were wearing baggy conservative clothes that hid as much of your body (or bruises) from the world as possible, just like she used to, and you were trying (and failing) to hide your fear for the man in front of you, just like she used to. He waved an arm around with such force and purpose that for a second Hailey thought he was going to hit you in broad daylight, in public. The action made Hailey flinch slightly, cringing at the painful memories. She felt an anxious twinge in her stomach when she realized you'd flinched as well. Hailey opened her mouth, to tell her father to shut the hell up, it was bad enough he'd talked to his own kids like that but someone else's? Come on. Until he beat her to the punch. "HUH?! WHAT DID YOU SAY?! I AM YOUR FATHER DON'T TALK BACK TO ME!" And suddenly a wave of horrendous nausea engulfed Hailey. Jay had wrapped an arm around her and clung to her side when her father started yelling, and Hailey was thankful he did because he was the pillar of strength keeping her upright.