𝐂𝐚𝐧'𝐭 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐩 𝐟𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐢𝐧 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞

𝟓 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐥𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫

𝟓 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐥𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫...

"Stand still, Sophie."

Her hands were working through the fabric in swift moves, the needle cutting through the wool rapidly. A look of concentration painted Y/N's features as her eyebrows pinched together. There was a measuring tape hugging her neck and free falling down her front, her skirt swishing in soft moves as she circled around Sophie, a few strands of her falling from the updo.

With a satisfied smile etched on her lips, she straightened her back and took a few steps back, admiring her work. "This will do. What do you think? Is the skirt too long?"

The skirt wasn't too long (it actually reached a few inches below Sophie's knees), but shortening it would certainly bring lots of stares and judging scowls.

Sophie shook her head. "No, no, I just- do I even look good in this dress, Y/N? I mean, you've done marvelous work, I just don't know if-"

Y/N crossed the distance between them, her hands resting gently on Sophie's shoulders. She met her eyes in the mirror. "You look absolutely gorgeous. You're making this dress look beautiful, not the other way around."

Sophie smiled, her hand touching Y/N's left one. The cold surface of a ring soothed her skin. When Y/N actually told her a few months ago to meet her in a secluded café, Sophie was actually expecting different kind of news. "I finally bought the house of my dreams" kind. Not the "I just got engaged to the man of my dreams!" kind. It made her do a double take at the ring.

After the war ended, Y/N and Sophie's communication suffered a fall out. Sophie retracted to the country side for a bit of tranquility and nature love (the birds always did sing the sweetest melodies), while Y/N chose to remain in the big city amongst the cars, the ruined buildings and the people who were still trying to heal. "London's in my blood" she had said. And Sophie respected her decision, as she respected her. Y/N was the first friend who actually looked out for her while she was a nurse. They had seen things together. That type of shared pain bound souls. That type of sorrow sew hearts together.

So, when Y/N actually called her up, asking when she'd back in London, Sophie packed her things away and took the first train there.

The city changed, but Y/N didn't. She wore the biggest smile and even a bigger ring. The emerald shone in the light, green hues reflecting on her sweet face. "It's so beautiful, Y/N." had said Sophie. Because it really was. It looked especially beautiful on Y/N's slightly calloused hands from sewing. Tailor hands. Or as Y/N liked to call them: les petites mains.

"Do you think his parents will like me?" asked Sophie in a quiet voice.

Y/N's eyebrows furrowed. "Of course, Soph! Why wouldn't they? You're an amazing, beautiful and smart young woman. The only thing that matters is for him to see you that way, not the parents."