CHAPTER TWO

𝘋𝘙𝘌𝘞 𝘞𝘈𝘚 𝘉𝘙𝘌𝘈𝘒𝘐𝘕𝘎 𝘚𝘖 𝘔𝘈𝘕𝘠 𝘈𝘗𝘏𝘙𝘖𝘋𝘐𝘛𝘌 𝘙𝘜𝘓𝘌𝘚. In the past couple of days before Silena's return, she'd taken it a step further. She tried to explain it away by reminding herself that it had to be romantic, and Evangeline has to know, as if her gazes and faint blushes weren't enough to confirm that. Barry had thought it was hilarious, but Drew's insides shriveled whenever she made the first move and held Evangeline's hand, or kissed her cheek, or-- once, when she was feeling particularly brave-- made out with her behind the Big House when everyone else was at the campfire.

Drew didn't feel brave like that often, but it was almost worth it to see Evangeline's face light up, her cheeks burning red. Her pale-white hair would get all tousled, and it made Drew want to confess everything and beg for forgiveness. Maybe she could. Maybe she would. Evangeline would give her a second chance, she knew that.

But until then, she tried to convince herself she did it for the Rite, and not because she was deeply and utterly in love with Evangeline. It just wouldn't work out.

Evangeline was too perfect for a girl like Drew, she knew that much.

𝘉𝘌𝘍𝘖𝘙𝘌 𝘚𝘐𝘓𝘌𝘕𝘈 𝘓𝘌𝘍𝘛 𝘏𝘌𝘙 𝘍𝘈𝘛𝘏𝘌𝘙'𝘚 𝘏𝘖𝘔𝘌, she Iris-Messaged. When the rainbow cleared, Barry turned to Drew with an urgent look.

"You have to do it today," he demanded. "Before-"

"I'll do it," she interrupted, feeling completely miserable. "I've got it."

"Do you? Because it doesn't look like you do. It looks like you've fallen in love."

With a snarl, she threw the door open. She'd gotten soft.

𝘌𝘷𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘦 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘋𝘳𝘦𝘸 𝘬𝘯𝘦𝘸 𝘴𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥 𝘣𝘦: with everybody else, at lunch. Drew couldn't even hesitate, not with Barry's pointed gaze on her back as he slipped into his seat at the Aphrodite table.

Drew sat across from Evangeline, and gestured to the side. "Can I talk to you?"

"Sure," Evangeline said. Drew could tell she was feigning calm, but they both stood and made their was to a small archway between two columns.

Evangeline didn't look nervous. She looked excited. Drew swallowed.

Drew could feel the gazes of the gossip-hungry campers. She and Evangeline had been the talk of the town for weeks-- the bitchiest daughter of Aphrodite and the sweetest daughter of Philophrosyne? It just didn't happen. People had been watching, waiting for Drew to break the news, to crush Evangeline's poor innocent heart.

So, Drew thought, swallowing, let's give the people what they want.

She plastered a smile on her face. "'Vangie, darling, how are you doing?"

". . .Good? Drew, are you okay?"

She jerked her head toward the cabin tables. "Enjoying the audience? How have you felt about your fifteen seconds of fame?"

Evangeline's brows furrowed, and she looked nervously at their peanut gallery. Her pale fingers intertwined, twisting anxiously.

"Drew, what are you talking about?"

Drew smiled like a viper, teeth bared. "Evangeline, open your eyes! Take it all in! Why do you think I was with you in the first place?"

"Drew, please-"

"Evangeline." Drew cocked an eyebrow. She was putting on a show, hoping that her heart wouldn't break into a million piece.

Drew doesn't know what did it. Maybe it was her nonchalant attitude, or her permanent smirk. Whatever it was, Evangeline got mad. Drew had never seen her mad before. No one had seen her mad before.