Chapter eleven

Grace got out of the car, holding her hand out to help Newt out of the jeep, the boy holding onto her hand as they walked into the camp. ''They've been planning this for over a year now. This is all for us.''

''You guys are lucky you found us when you did.'' Sonya continued as they walked into the camp. ''We're moving out at first light.'' She turned to a guy, ''Where's Vince?'' Sonya nodded as she and Harriet led the group to where the man pointed. ''Who's Vince?''

''He's the one who decides if you get to stay.'''Harriet answered Thomas as Minho questioned the camp. ''I thought the Right Arm was supposed to be an army.''

''Yeah, we were.'' A man walked out of a tent, by Harriet and Sonya's reaction, this must have been Vince. ''This is all that's left of us. Lot of good people died getting us this far.'' He nodded at the group. ''Who are they?''

''They're Immunes. Caught 'em coming up the mountain.''

''Did you check 'em?''

''I know this guy, Aris.'' Harriet pointed at the boy who seemed uncomfortable with the attention he was getting. ''I trust him.''

''Well, I don't. Check 'em.''

''Hey, boss...'' A man spoke as Brenda started wheezing, falling forward as the group rushed to her aid. Grace turned her around, making the girl look at her as Grace puzzled the pieces together. She looked like Winston did. 

''Brenda! Brenda!'' Jorge pushed himself next to Grace as he began to look over the girl. ''Brenda! Brenda. Brenda, talk to me.''

''I'm sorry. I'm sorry.''

''What's going on with her?'' Vince crouched down next to Jorge, who had the wheezing girl in his arms as he frantically shook his head. ''I don't know. Brenda, are you all right?''

''Shit!'' Vince jumped back from the girl, the bite mark on her leg clearly visible as he pulled a gun out. ''Crank! We got a Crank!'' Grace was pulled away by Newt, holding her in his arms as she looked at the other girl. Thomas jumped in front of her as two men pulled Jorge back. ''No! Wait, wait! Listen, okay? This just happened, okay? She's not dangerous yet.'' Thomas explained with his hands in the air.

''You shouldn't have brought her here!''

''I know.'' Thomas answered back as Vince kept going.

''We let Cranks in here now, the safe haven doesn't last a week!''

''I understand, okay? I understand. Just listen. Please. Please, okay?'' He pointed at the wheezing girl on the ground. ''I told her that you could help. Okay? No. There's got to be something you can do.''

''Yeah, there is.'' He panted as he looked at Thomas before pointing his gun at Brenda again. ''I can put her out of her misery.''

''No! No!'' Jorge tried desperately to get out of the grip of the two men when a woman's voice rang out. ''Vince, that's enough! Let him go. Let him go!'' The men did so as Jorge looked at Brenda while Vince kept going. ''She's infected, Doc. There's nothing we can do for her.''

''No, but he can.'' She nodded at Thomas as she looked at him with a smile. ''Hello, Thomas.'' Thomas seemed as surprised as the rest, Grace looking at the woman as her gaze darted between the two. ''What? You know me?''

''Interesting. It makes sense they'd put you in the maze.'' She leaned down next to Brenda as she grabbed her wrist, Jorge looking at her with a frown. ''Though I must admit... I was worried they'd kill you after what you did.''

''What I did?''

''The first time we spoke, you said you couldn't take it anymore... watching your friends die, one by one.'' She looked at the group of four Gladers standing next to each other, all looking at Thomas. ''The last time we spoke... you gave me the coordinates of every WICKED compound, trial and lab.''

''He was our source.'' Vince spoke as he turned to Thomas. Grace finally realized why Thomas had been put in the Maze, they were punishing him. ''We couldn't have pulled all this off without him.'' The woman answered with a nod before nodding towards Brenda. ''Take her to the tent.''

''Get these guys some warm clothes.'' She helped Jorge with lifting Brenda up from the ground. ''Careful. Come on.'' Thomas stood there as the woman looked at him. ''Hey, it's the least we can do. Thomas, come on. I need to get some blood from you.'' The woman then turned to the group, her eyes in a frown. ''Grace?'' 

Eyes turned to the girl as she frowned. ''...Yeah?'' 

''You should come, don't worry, you're not in trouble.'' 

''How do you know me?'' She asked as she still leaned into Newt's embrace, scared to let go. ''I knew your mother, she was one of my best friends in WICKED.'' Her eyes went wide as she turned to Newt, who nodded at her and kissed her hair. 'Go, I'll find you later.'' 

''In the beginning, we were lost. All we knew for sure... was that the younger you were, the stronger your chances.''

''You worked for WICKED?''

''Long time ago. You know, at first, we had the best intentions. Find a cure, save the world.'' Grace looked at the set-up, paying close attention to what Mary was doing. ''It was clear you kids were the key, because you were immune. But why? Eventually, we found an answer. An enzyme produced by the brains of the immune. Once separated from the bloodstream... it can serve as a powerful agent to slow the spread of the virus.''

''So, you found a cure?''

''Not exactly. The enzyme can't be manufactured, only harvested from the immune. The young.'' Grace spoke, remembering the notebook. Mary looked at the girl in surprise. ''Yes, of course, that didn't stop WICKED. If they had their way... they'd sacrifice an entire generation.'' She held up the needle with the blue serum in it. ''All for this. A gift of biology. Of evolution. But one not meant for all of us.''

''How long will that give her?'' Grace questioned as Mary stuck the needle inside of Brenda's arm, the girl visibly relaxing. ''It's different for everyone. A few months maybe. But that's the catch, isn't it? She'll always need more.'' Grace stood up with Mary and Jorge. ''Okay. Let's go outside. Let them rest. Let's go. She'll be fine.'' 

''How'd you know that? About the harvest?'' Mary asked once they were outside. Grace pulled the bag of her shoulders, taking the notebook out of it and holding it in front of Mary. ''I found this in an abandoned building, I tried to learn more about WICKED.'' 

''You read through this ... and understood all of it?'' Grace shrugged. ''Most of it, at least.'' 

''Incredible, no wonder they named you after Grace Hopper.''

''Named me?'' Her eyes went wide in surprise. ''What do you mean named me after? You mean that Grace isn't even my name?'' 

''You hadn't figured that out yet, had you?'' Grace shook her head as Mary sight, placing a hand on her shoulder and turning her around to face her friends. ''All of you were named after the most brilliant people, Grace for Grace Hopper, Thomas for Thomas Edison?'' It all clicked for Grace at that moment, remembering the names of the Gladers. ''Go meet with your friends, they seem to miss you.'' 

''What? No, I want to know more about my mother, about WICKED.''

''That'll come, you should rest for now.'' She nodded before turning back. ''Do you have any painkillers?'' 

So, the big secret is out of who Grace was named after! I hope you enjoyed this chapter and if you did, please leave a vote, comment and add this book to your reading list to stay updated! See you on Saturday!

-X Vioet's-library