34

"I am sorry to tell you this, I really am" Dumbledore says nervously

"I am sorry to tell you this, I really am" Dumbledore says nervously. It is nearing eight months of Lily Potters pregnancy. And James has asked that if they were to die that Sirius and Edith will be god parents and look after their child. Which they accepted straight away.

"What is wrong Sir?" James asks his voice wavering slightly. had one of their friends been killed?

"I am sorry James, it relates to you and Lily" Dumbledore sighs.

A look of sorrow spreads across James's face thinking about her and his unborn child. His face becomes pale "Please tell me sir, if it concerns me and my Lily, I will have to be on high alert."

Remus places a hand on James's shoulder to steady him and calm him down, something that worked well back it Hogwarts but not so much now.

"There is a prophecy, about a boy born at the end of July, who will defeat the dark lord, draining him of power" Dumbledore speaks gravely. Edith gasps and Sirius hugs her tightly from behind.

"Voldemort knows of this prophecy and plans to kill the child before it is strong enough to kill him. I am afraid Mr Potter that it could be your child or perhaps The Longbottom's." Dumbledore says taking on his glasses and massaging his nose.

James grips the table his hands whitening. His face looking down.

A tense silence fell above the room. The Dark Lord was attacking one of their own. One of the Marauders. Edith accesses the faces in Dumbledore's office. Remus looks worried his face pale making his scars visible. Peter looks skittish which is odd looking at the floor then at Dumbledore then back again. Sirius has a pained expression on his face his arms around his partner. James looks down at the floor you can tell he is thinking, worried a whirl wind of emotion.

"What do we suggest we do?" James asks his voice strained finally looking up to meet Dumbledore's eyes.

"I suggest you go into hiding. Cast charms around your house to protect you and Lily. However you require a secret keeper, one, or a group of people you trust more than anything to keep you safe."

James paces the room back at forth back and forth. "Padfoot, Blue, Moony and Wormtail." He speaks causing the group to look up at him. "I trust each of them more than I trust anyone. it is the obvious choice."

"Okay you will need to keep a roster, to keep watch and inform the group if he gets to close." Dumbledore says.

Remus pulls out his wand casting a spell and a timetable appears Infront of each of the Marauders on days when each will keep watch.

***

It was a couple of months after Harry was born. Edith couldn't love the boy more. He was sweet and looked like his dad but had his mothers eyes. Obviously she cannot visit often because of the circumnutates. But she still loves to see him when she can.

It was a full moon coming up, but it was Sirius's turn to watch the Potters.

"Peter!" Sirius calls knocking on the apartment door. He had knocked a few times waiting for Peter to answer. When it opened it revealed a Peter one that Sirius couldn't recognize straight away.

He had gained weight like he had been nervous eating. His clothes were wrinkled and his once brown hair was dirty and messy.

"Well what brings you here?" He asks a ghost of a smile on his face not a real one.

"I need you to do me a favor?" Sirius asks.

"Sure, yeah, what?" Peter asks running his hand through his hair.

"Look I need you to take my shift watching the Potters tonight. It is a full moon so Edith and Remus will be out of action and I want to be there for them." Sirius sends a pleading look at Peter.

"I suppose I can, I am not much use as a rat, am I?" Peter asks.

"Thanks mate, your a life saver." Sirius smiles before walking out his apartment.

Once he hears the pop, Peter smiles evilly his job has just gotten a lot easier.

"Dark Lord?" He says popping into his masters hideout.

"Yes Peter." Voldemort asks his voice cracking stroking his snake.

"I know where the Potters are, and tonight there won't be anyone their to protect them." Peter says smirking.

"Well done my boy." Voldemort says. A smile forms on Peter's face.