Regretful Glimpse

Melissia's POV:

It was about 2PM when me and my friends were getting ready to walk out of school. We all had different classes, but we always agreed to meet up in the middle of the building to walk out together. When we were all together, we started walking. We had made a simple route around the town to go home. One by one, we go around the town to drop off each person until it's just me. Of course, I'm always last on the list. why wouldn't I be? I'm the smallest and... well not the weakest. Some days, my dad sent me to train in defense, and I got quite good. The only problem is that I wouldn't ever be able to use those skills due to my horrible social and reaction abilities. 

I never paid much attention to the conversation we had when walking. I was in my own little world, and I would want it to stay that way. My backpack was slowly slipping from my shoulders, and I didn't notice until it was too late. My bag dropped onto the ground with a heavy thump. I jumped, looking down at the ground at it. Very delicate objects were in there, like a thin glass case for supplies and such. I sighed, getting down on my knees and unzipping my bag. I heard everyone else's footsteps come to a stop as they turned around, looking at me. 

I felt awkward being the spotlight of their attention. All I did was drop my bag. Nathan walked towards me, kneeling down and helping me sort my bag and look for any damaged items. My bag was getting heavy, so there could always be the chance of a ruined pencil case. Although, it wouldn't be much of a big deal since I could replace them, I just didn't want to ruin my bag. As I unzipped my bag and reached inside, my vision went blurry. A small headache pulsed throughout my brain, and it became difficult to breathe. 

My heartbeat increased, and the feeling of dread caressed my entire soul. "Hey, are you doing alright?" I heard someone say from in front of me. I looked up, and I swear Nathan was in front of me earlier. Now, I could see a rough and blurry figure with black hair, pale skin and dark eyes looking at me. "I- I'm sorry, who are you?" I asked. He chuckled, getting up and walking away. My gaze followed his figure, as he walked away with some sort of weapon in his hand.

I mustered the strength to bring myself into the ball position I always taught myself to get into whenever I was scared. At this point, I just wanted to run back home and never look back. I wanted to be in the comfort of my sister or my mother. I wanted to be in my cold pajamas, spread out on my bed and looking at the ceiling. But now, I was curled up into a ball trying to calm myself down by doing deep breaths. 

I felt the headache pulse, and it was almost like someone was splitting my head in half with a saw. Over and over, I kept thinking to myself, "Someone, help. Make it stop."  Although, I'm sure no one was around to read my mind and magically rescue me. Faintly, I could hear familiar voices calling to me. "Melissia? Melissia are you okay?" One of them asked. "Melissia, wake up!" Another one shouted. One of them took both hands off of my legs and held them softly, and then I got the overwhelming courage to look up at whoever was there with me.

 If there was anyone there, that is. I looked up in horror. Nathan and Hirunomi surrounded me as they were covered in blood, but no one would know who's blood it was. I screamed, hot tears welling up in my tearducts, blurring my vision. My breathing started to quicken again as I slapped myself over and over, begging my brain to stop thinking. My eyes began to feel as heavy as an anvil, but I tried my best to fight and stay awake, for the sake of my friends. "Melissia, please!" Was the last I heard before collapsing and falling unconscious on the cold hard concrete. 

Later, I had come back to my senses, the headache was now gone. I slowly opened my eyes, glancing around me. I was in my bedroom, once again surrounded by my friends. Nathan sighed in relief,  pushing his hair back. "Thank God. Mel, are you good?" He stared into my eyes, visibly worried. I could see his leg shaking as I sat up. "Yeah.. yeah. What happened?" I rubbed my head, glancing back and forth between Nathan and Hiru. Nathan shrugged, "I'm- I'm not sure. WE'RE not sure, you just started acting all.. manic- and then you hit your head on the ground and passed out." 

I collapsed back onto my bed, "Well that's a bummer. At least school was over when it happened." I exclaimed, trying my best to make light of the situation. Nathan rubbed his head and Hiru cleared her throat. She spoke in a low voice, "I think you should be fine, now. How are you feeling?" I turned my gaze to her. "I'm a bit tired.. Tonight I have to go to the store to get some food so I can't sleep yet." Hiru got up, sighing as she walked out of my room without saying another word, silently closing my door. 

I felt guilty and embarrassed, although I know I couldn't have stopped what happened. Nathan stared at the door, and then slowly looked back to me. He stood up, moving over to hug me as I laid on my bed. I put my right arm around his neck, my left arm around his back. "I wouldn't worry too much about it, okay?" I asked him, attempting to reassure him. I could feel him nod as he inhaled, letting go of me and going back to sitting on my floor. I could see his eyes becoming more glass-like as tears slowly came up. He sniffled, furrowing his eyebrows and looking away from me to wipe his face. "I'm just.. worried is all." 

 I smiled to him. "It's okay. I know it'll be okay. See? I'm fine!" I pushed my blanket off of my legs, quickly standing up and walking around my room. In an instant, I became dizzy and wobbled back to my bed. "Okay, not all that good yet but I'm still alive." He laughed, wiping his nose with his hoodie sleeve. I laughed along with him. 

A quick sharp pain hit the left side of my head and I winced, putting my hand over the spot. 

"Ow.."