Chapter 10: Fragments

Warnings: may contain guilt/self-blaming content with a suicidal hint, proceed with caution (not Ryn's thoughts!) The starting parts with italics are actually stuff she saw in her dream :)

"We are going to win this war." He said firmly, and gave the people clustered around him a determined gaze. "Whatever danger we meet, don't give up and remember that we are unity! You are not alone, we are family!" 

The crowd cheered, not very loudly, but their eyes sparked with hope, and even if they were all wearing face-covering masks, their smiles were visible through the cloth, as all of them released their drones high up into the air.

"Thank you, #0!"

Then they were moving out the large glass hemisphere, not in a clutter but one by one, neatly and orderly.

He joined them, and at that moment of time, he was just simply one of them.

"#0? No no, don't go with us, we are the ones to protect you. We will protect the World of Walker. You will be in danger if you go with us!" A girl's voice called as he moved closer and closer to the exit.

"It's okay, #28300. I will go with you, because we are united as a whole. As the leader, my duty is to protect my family." He said firmly and encouragingly.

"You've been through so much all this time, building the underground base, and now this new base, all in risk of being attacked by the Nexus... Please, please put yourself in mind. #22 is also worried about you." Replied the girl, in an almost pleading voice.

"#22? Is he doing fine?" He asked instead, trying not to make her worried, as he marched on with the others.

"He is fine, I am fine, but you're not! Please, don't overwork yourself!"

The scene faded into darkness.

—————————————————

He stood, dumbfounded, as he received the news through his drone.

He could not stand still anymore.

His legs were weak and sore from the running, and his wounds burned with pain, but that was hardly his concern.

He wasn't a good leader.

He failed the Walkers.

He failed his people. His family.

He was a failure.

But all he could do was to watch.

Eerie clouds of dust, each with scorching red flames within, rose from the faraway horizon.

Lily.

Yordan.

He tried to count the people lost in this battle.

He could not count any more.

He was a failed leader. He did not deserve the title. #0.

Why did he went along with the Red Nexus leader and signed that damn contract?! He should have fought back! He should've given his life! He shouldn't sign that contract of staying away from the Walkers for the rest of his life just to keep himself alive. The peace of such a small room didn't matter. He should've sacrificed himself! For his people! What kind of pathetic leader just thinks of himself and his own life, and doesn't even think of the lives of his people after the war?!!

He collapsed onto the ground, and the world seemed to swirl in a jumble of confusion in front of him.

He saw drones, in his mirage of thoughts. Red drones.