Chapter 23- Trusting those you shouldn't

Ellie trailed behind Oswald as he limped into an old mansion. A couple days ago he heard that the daughter of an old "friend" had moved to Gotham, and he was going to meet with her in an attempt to set up alliances.

Oswald knocked on the door, his men grouped behind him and Ellie, and waited for someone to answer. After a few brief moments, the door was opened by a young butler who moved aside and let them in. They were greeted by, Ellie assumed, Sophia Falcone as they gathered into the large entrance hallway.

"Hello! You're mr. Cobblepot I assume?" Falcone asked, her tone warm. Oswald smiled, though the warmth of his smile did not reach his eyes, he clearly didn't want to give her that kind of trust, she didn't deserve that yet.

"Yes, I'm so happy that I could have the pleasure of meeting Falcone's daughter as he clearly couldn't be here himself." Oswald informed her, clearly lying.

"Of course, I would love to help my father in Gotham, it's my home after all, even if I didn't have the pleasure of growing up in it." Sophia replied, obviously trying to deflect the hostility.

"Shall we then? You can leave them." She gestured to the group around Oswald, including Ellie. He looked down at her and smiled.

"Of course, but she stays with me." He took her hand and Ellie felt a small warm feeling of happiness, at least he wasn't excluding her now, even after knowing of her betrayal.

Sophia looked confused but nodded, "Of course, come along then." She lead them to a room off of the main hallway and sat down, inviting Oswald and Ellie to join her.

Although happy that she was being included, Ellie couldn't claim that the conversation between Sophia and Oswald was interesting. Some parts recounted events that happened before she was born, like a girl who ended up being a spy for Fish Mooney, or how Oswald had run a club before the iceberg lounge, and some brief discussions about how Oswald had worked for both Maroni and Falcone for a while. But otherwise Ellie couldn't find herself keeping interest in the conversation.

***

Oswald and Ellie left the meeting with Oswald being in rather high spirits. "I would say that meeting was successful wouldn't you? Getting involved with the Falcone family again, this is a good thing." He smiled as they stepped outside. The clouds threatened rain but Ellie wasn't worried, it rained all the time in Gotham and the clouds looked far enough away that it would still be relatively dry by the time they got back to the club.

When they did get back to the club, it definitely wasn't the event Ellie had expected. Not that she was expecting anything to happen of course, but still.

They heard something moving around in the main club room and Oswald cautiously took Ellie's hand and she followed behind him into the lounge room.

There he was. No longer covered in needles, somehow back in his signature green suit.

"Ed!" She yelled happily, running over to him without thinking. She stopped before reaching him and looked between the two. Oswald was glaring at him and he looked confused, seemingly trying to pick between being happy to see her and pissed to see him.

"Ed." Oswald nodded formally.

"Oswald." Ed growled angrily.

"I got your messages from earlier." Oswald smiled, obviously trying to make it look like more of a "yes you're here and I'm pissed that you are" look. Ellie found herself once again caught between them in case anything went wrong.

"But you didn't answer any of them." Ed replied.

"I'd rather not waste my time. You can talk to me again when you want to actually be friendly with me, but not now. You clearly don't want to be friends."