Part 7

Adele

Morning came faster than I would have liked. I got up with a grunted facing the large mirror in my bathroom. Lanky and pale figure faced me and I huffed at the sight of my messy brown hair. My dull grey eyes were deep in their dark caves as I began to rake myself into shape for the day. I savoured the heat of the shower as it ran over my muscles.

Getting dressed I was deep in my thoughts. This could very well be my last outfit I ever wore. This was the reality of the hunters. Never knowing when it might be your last day. The shock washed over me but I bit my lip as I tied my hair in a tight bun and finished lacing my boots. One last look in the mirror. "You look good enough to be eaten alive, Miss Winterbane." I laughed at myself. Yeah right. Grinning at my attempt of confidence I grabbed my leather jacket and made my way to the office.

The door was already open as I arrived. Men and women stood in a half circle around the table in various combat attire. All of them towered over me. Some of them gave me side glances and they had sour expressions on their scared faces. My father was handing out files to each of them giving few details on their assignments. When it finally was my turn, he looked more tense. There was sadness in his eyes but also gratification.

"You look much like your mother, Adele." He held his hand on my shoulder and handed me my sheet of information about the target. "This mission might be the most important one yet. We have been after them for years and never gotten close enough."

"And you are entrusting it to me? Why?" I glanced over the information written on the file that had no photos nor much of information at all in fact. There were a few points on a map and a line indicating our territory border.

"Yes. The reason is that you are fresh. You have never hunted before and your scent will be new to them. There is a slight chance that you will get past them undetected." He walked over to a cabinet behind his desk and pulled out a velvet box.

"Them... you mean the werewolves? How can you be sure of this?" I stared at him as he opened the box. Inside was a decorative silver blade with beautiful carvings and letters on the handle. I picked it up and felt the weight of it in my hand.

"I'm not, but I'm willing to take that chance. We know where their lair is. We know where the target most likely will be. We have never been able to properly penetrate their barriers to get even close to their headquarters." He looked at me as I swung the blade in the air with swift movements. "But you will. You must. This is your duty. Your assignment is to assassinate the leader."

He licked his lips and gave me an intense stare. His cigar was glowing and the smoke escaped his nostrils. I put the blade back in its holster and secured it firmly to my hip. I just nodded and folded the file in my chest pocket. I sighed and returned the fiery look by nodding and pressing my lip to a line. I gave my father a salute and started heading out.

"I won't let you down... sir."

"Good. Because you have no place to return until your task is done. Understand that, Adele. We are counting on you to complete your mission, before we can move in with our other plans. It all comes down to you." He waved me goodbye and shut the door. No pressure. Whatever his plan was, it had to do with this leader and their lair. And he was counting on me to kill them. I could feel the cold sweat rising as I went down to the armoury to get my equipment sorted.

Within the hour I was heading out with my bag packed with survival gear and rations. The unpleasant breakfast was turning behind my belt as I stepped to the windy yard. One of the other hunters waved me to come closer and opened the door to a black SUV.

"I'll take you to the border. Then you are on your own." I climbed in and sat in silence as we drove off. I glanced back at my home wondering will I ever see the concrete buildings again. My chest tightened but I shook it off. I needed to focus. I went through the information in my head and formed a plan. It took a good part of an hour before the car pulled to the side of the road. I jumped down and nodded thanks to the driver as he continued on his way. I pulled out the map and started heading to the direction of the markings.

I spent most of the day hiking in the forest only stopping to chew on some packed jerky. I finished my water bottle and filled it in a stream further into the woods. For a while, I decided to run. I was used to it and made a good distance towards my destination. When I started to lose daylight I decided to find a place to rest. Knowing lighting a fire would be too risky so I just tucked my arms tightly in my jacket and hunched down by a tree. Listening to the sounds of the forest I closed my eyes. I didn't feel threatened. So far, my day had been smooth and eventless. It took a while before sleep came over as I laid on the cold ground under the dark sky.