5. A Start

I pulled the last of my bags out of the car and closed the door

I pulled the last of my bags out of the car and closed the door. Adrian turned the car off and got out on the other side.

He drove my Dodge here and I was thankful that we got here in one piece. Now that I was about to board a plane to Los Angeles, I was no longer worried about the fact that my car was going to be here in Adrian's hands. He'd promised me that he'd take care of it like it was his own.

I told him I didn't mind him driving it but I would mind if he trashed it, crashed it, or fucked the many girls he does inside of it.

My car is a virgin from having girls in the back seat and having sex. Well, that was true until I met Red.

The sound of a car breaking causes my head to turn and see Vince pull up behind my dodge in a big truck. The purpose of his being here was simple. The rest of my luggage was in the trunk and there was no more room to fit anything else inside my car. All I had with me were clothes and other important necessities such as toothpaste and mouthwash. Once I arrive on campus, I'll figure out where to get food and personal items, as well as transportation.

Just as Jules gets out of the car, my entire body tenses at the sight of my mother in the passenger seat. She was getting ready to take off her seat belt but once our eyes locked on one another's, the tension between us became unsettling.

I have yet to talk to my mother. I just can't bring myself to sit down and talk to her, despite what Red had told me. To tell her how she's treated me over the years has affected me tremendously. Her drinking habit and medicine were getting out of control.

There were just so many unresolved problems between my mother and I and I just don't know if it's a relationship that can be fixed.

"I can't believe my big brother is leaving me," Jules sniffs, her dramatics touchy in an amusing way. "I already lost my big sister and won't see her until Thanksgiving."

My heart acts funny. The fact that Jules sees Red as a sister figure is heartwarming.

During all the years of growing up with my sister, with all the girls I messed around with, she's never spoken so highly about them and their habits. Not until Red came into my life and turned what started as complicated into something relived. Red was everything I didn't expect.

Gorgeous. Bright. Kind. Loving. sexy and smart.

She was my girlfriend, and I'm grateful to be experiencing this heartburn every time my girl crosses my mind.

"You can call me whenever, Jules."

"It doesn't change the fact that I won't miss you, big bro," Jules looks at Adrian. "I love you, Adrian. Don't take what I'm saying as favoritism. I will miss you too when you go off to college."

Adrian smiles curtly. That only meant one thing. He hasn't told Jules or even our...parents, that he wasn't going to college and was leaving home the moment he turned eighteen.