30. Hospitalized

The journey to Durant seemed to take hours

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

The journey to Durant seemed to take hours. I called my mother back as soon as I realized I had missed her calls and that my phone had been buzzing nonstop. When she told me that dad had an accident, falling off a ladder while cleaning the gutters, my heart stopped.

Despite my differences with my father, I love him, and I worry about him.

Mercer, my loving and sweet boyfriend, didn't mind coming along with me, even though I told him that he didn't have to. But does Mercer ever listen? No, he doesn't.

We got a car and headed straight to the hospital. The worry I was feeling was overwhelming when I thought of so many scenarios my father was in. How bad was his fall? Did he break anything? Will he be okay?

So many questions flooded my mind and it didn't ease the second the car stopped outside of the AllianceHealth Durant hospital my mother said my father was at. Getting out of the car, I heard Mercer speak to the driver, telling him to stay here and he'll pay whatever waiting fee.

The moment our driver took off to find a spot near the front of the hospital, Mercer trailed behind me as I made my way to the front desk.

"Hi, I'm here to see Gerald Santos." I say, my fingers shaking. Charlotte, the nurse, nods while asking me questions about relations.

"Room 20, third floor," she buzzes the doors open. "Only one person can enter at a time." she says, throwing me an apologetic smile.

I look back towards Mercer and he gives me a supporting smile, leaning over to place a quick kiss on my forehead. "It's alright, Red. I'll be right here waiting."

"I won't be long."

"Take your time."

Grateful, I kissed him a few times before following the receptionist's directions towards the elevators.

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

My anxiety levels rise the second I stop in front of my father's room. Taking a breath, I knocked a few times before entering.

The sight of my father instantly comes into view. Dressed in a hospital gown, he reclines on the bed with a remote control in his left hand and the cast on his right arm clearly visible. His eyes widen slightly as his head turns to face me.