Chapter 30 and 31

Chapter 30

Birds and Bees

Three months had passed since Brinn had returned home. It was a hot day in late August, and she missed the cool breezes and shade of the high canopy that sheltered the mountain. She was patiently waiting for Stockman's trial and finally felt a sense of peace that he was at least off the streets and she was now free to come and go without his constant threat, or the need for twenty-four hour security. The press had died down—probably only a short reprieve until the trial date—but at least she felt like she could breathe.

When she went to visit the little Weston girl after she was released from the hospital, Brinn was glad to see her smiling and happy. Carrie was seven, and had only been taken a few weeks before she was found, so she hadn’t endured Stockman’s cruelty for long, but Brinn knew how much damage that monster could inflict in a very short period of time. Even though the girl smiled and played with her dolls when Brinn stopped by, the haunted look that crept across her face when she talked about her time at the farmhouse reminded Brinn of the nightmares they would both have to live with. She hoped that in time, the two of them would find strength in being kindred spirits. 

Mama was teaching her how to drive and Justin was still trying to help her make up for lost time by showing her all over the city—although he refused to let her drive his BMW, claiming that the steering mechanism was “sensitive” and the clutch was kind of “tricky.”

Moreover, he refrained from kissing her again. The passionate embrace they'd shared at the park was replaced by friendly pecks on the cheek or forehead. Frankly, Brinn was frustrated. She understood his apprehension. After all, she was the one who had pushed him away, giving in to her doubts and fears. Maybe it was time to take her future in hand and prove to him that she was ready to take the next step—whatever that might be.

They strolled side by side along the wooded trail behind her house. The humidity hung heavy in the air. The floral scent of hydrangea and honeysuckle lingered as Justin took her hand and led her further into the sheltering trees.

"Justin, could you take me up to the mountain next weekend? It's really pretty this time of year, and it will be cold and rainy if we wait much longer."

A look of sympathy filled his eyes. "You miss the cabin, don’t you?"

"I called it my home for a long time, and I really want to collect my belongings. Besides, I want to see if Kitty still remembers me."

Justin laughed. "I can’t imagine she would ever forget you. I’m not sure she wants to see me again, though."

Brinn grinned at the memory of Kitty sitting on top of him and the wild look of shock he’d had on his face. A lot had happened since Justin had found her in the woods that afternoon in May and had stayed in her little cabin for those three wonderful days. She blushed at the memory of seeing him unclothed. Brushing away the warm desire that rose in her belly, she changed the subject.

"I also promised Abby a visit." Her friend hadn't heard from Phillip in over a month. She had caught him kissing another girl and they'd had a big fight, his only defense being, "Men have needs." Although he had agreed to Abby's decision to remain a virgin until their wedding night, he apparently chose not to abstain himself. The engagement was off and Abby's heart was crushed.

"We can go up on Friday. I'll spend a few hours with Abby and then we can hike up the mountain and stay at the cabin overnight."

Justin remained silent for a long time, apparently pondering her suggestion.

Brinn had plans for getting him alone. She wasn't sure if she was ready for what she knew men and women who loved each other did in private, but she wanted time alone with him to figure it out.  Her love for him was not in question, though she hadn’t said the words. She couldn’t imagine ever wanting any man other than Justin to touch and kiss her the way he did. It terrified and thrilled her all at once, but there was an undeniable trust there that made her feel safe. At least as safe as she ever would be. The truth was she had no idea if she could ever be in a real relationship.