Chapter 14-Dark Memories

Chapter 14
Dark Memories

Brinn jumped off the seat, over the table and landed in Justin's arms, knife still in hand. "Justin! It's you! I found you!" She hugged him fiercely, clinging to his neck.

"I take it you know this little warrior?" Cody smiled crookedly.

Justin acknowledged his friend with a broad grin of his own, unable to hide his pleasure in seeing her. He looked down into Brinn's wild-eyed expression, and then pulled her closer. He felt her tremble in his arms. 

"Yes, it's me." He steered the weapon away from his ear, but didn't try to take it from her. "What are you doing here?" He asked in astonishment as he pulled back to see her more clearly.

"I wanted to see you...Abby and Phillip brought me here, but they left me..." her voice broke.

 Just then, the abandoning duo appeared. "Oh, Brinn, I'm so sorry I left you alone. Please forgive me. It was stupid of me...I didn't think...are you all right?" Abby gushed apologetically. The fiery little blonde eyed Justin and Cody as she reached for Brinn's hand protectively. "Who are you?"

Brinn had obviously never told her friend about him. He reluctantly released his hold and Brinn fell into Abby's arms. Seeing how the two girls wavered slightly as they hugged, and noting the flushed cheeks of their companion—presumably Phillip—Justin stepped in. "Brinn and I are friends. I think I should get you two out of here. My friend Cody and I will make sure you all get home safely." Cody looked down at Phillip with an expression that immediately quelled the potential argument on the younger man's face.

After sheathing her knife and gathering her shoes, Brinn made a quick side trip to the ladies' room with Abby. The girls returned slightly less disheveled but still staggered across the packed room. Justin put an arm around Brinn's shoulder and guided her through the crowded bar. Amidst stares and whispers, they parted the masses, Brinn huddled close against him.
Once outside, she relaxed slightly and sucked in a few deep breaths. As he helped her into his car, he paused and took in how shockingly beautiful she was—a far cry from the girl he'd met in the woods. He knew in that moment that if they'd met under any other circumstances, she would be exactly the girl he wanted. But now wasn't the time or place to give in to a crazy urge to kiss her. With her history, maybe there would never be one. His heart squeezed at the thought. People recovered from trauma, right? If there was even the slimmest hope, he had to believe it was possible. As he looked into her long-lashed blue eyes, he whispered, "You look beautiful, Brinn."

Rewarded by a brief, shy smile, Justin closed her door and packed the rest of the crew into his BMW. Cody and Phillip sat in the back with Abby between them and Brinn swayed in the bucket seat next to Justin, who drove them to a local hotel. It was too late to drive all the way out to Abby's house and there wouldn't be nearly enough room for all of them at his tiny condo. A hotel would suit their needs just fine.

The car was crowded, but Justin didn't mind. He had Brinn's warm, slender body pressed up against him, leaning past the center console, still clinging to his arm as he drove. She curled at his side like a purring kitten, seeming to find comfort in his presence. Maybe now she would let him help her.

He couldn't believe he'd found her at the pub. Normally, he stayed away from the bar scene in Atlanta, but since Cody's return from Afghanistan, his friend had taken to getting trashed and picking fights at the Black Horse most every weekend—not usually in his character. Justin hoped that given time and a chance to work out his issues, Cody would overcome whatever demons plagued him. Until then, Justin was along as damage control and designated driver. 

The fight Cody picked tonight had been in defense of a young woman, and that young woman turned out to be Briana Hathaway. Justin wanted to tell her what he'd found out about her family, but it would have to wait until they were alone and she was sober. His friend at the crime lab had confirmed her fingerprints matched the kidnapped girl from the newspaper archives. The lab tech agreed to keep a lid on the story until he heard back from Justin, but made it clear it would cost him a huge favor. Owing Freddy would be well worth knowing he had found a kidnapped victim and returned her to her family.