We All Know I Could Kill You Both

It was a bit surprising when we got back to the ship with two unconscious demigods. While Frank and Hazel tended to Blackjack, Annabeth and Leo helped Piper and me bring the boys to the sickbay. Blood was still dripping down my arm.

"At this rate we are going to run out of Ambrosia," Coach Hedge grumbled as he tended to their wounds. He gave me a single square for my arm. "How come I never get invited on these violent trips?"

I ate the square and it tasted like my mother's chocolate chip cookies. My cut was already healing and I sat in between the two boys.

"Leo, are we ready to set sail?" Piper asked.

"Yeah, but-"

"Set course for Atlanta. I'll explain later."

"But . . . okay." He hurried off.

Annabeth didn't ask either. She was too busy examining the horseshoe-shaped dent on the back of Percy's head.

"What hit him?" she demanded.

"Blackjack," I shrugged.

"What!"

Piper and I tried to explain while Coach Hedge applied some healing paste to the boys' heads. He did something right for both of them, groaned and opened their eyes.

Within a few minutes they were both sitting up and able to talk in complete sentences. Both had fuzzy memories of what had happened on the highway. I described their quick duel, not mentioning the fact that Percy had attacked me as well.

Jason winced. "Knocked out twice in two days. Some demigod." He glanced sheepishly at my brother. "Sorry, man. I didn't mean to blast you."

Percy's shirt was peppered with burn holes and his hair even more disheveled than normal. He managed a weak laugh. "Not the first time. Your big sister got me good once at camp."

"Yeah, but . . . I could have killed you."

"Or I could have killed you," Percy said.

Jason shrugged. "If there'd been an ocean in Kansas, maybe."

"I don't need an ocean-"

"Boys," I interrupted. "I'm sure you both would've been wonderful at killing each other, even though we all know I could kill you both. But right now I think rest is a good idea."

"Food first," Percy said. "Please? And we really need to talk." He looked at Annabeth. "Bacchus said some things that don't-"

"Bacchus?" Annabeth raised her hand. "Okay, fine. We need to talk. Mess hall. Ten minutes. I'll tell the others. And please, Percy . . . change your clothes. You smell like you've been run over by an electric horse." My friend looked at me. "And Daphne, change your shirt. You have blood all over the sleeve." And with that she turned and left the sick bay.

Both Jason and Percy looked at my shirt. I looked at my sleeve, and there was some blood still soaked into it.

"I didn't realize that was there," I muttered.

"Whose blood is that?" Jason asked.

I looked at Piper who just sat there awkwardly, not knowing what to say.

"I'm gonna go," I finally muttered and I left before they could question me further. 

[][][][][][]

I made my way into the mess hall. Leo had given the helm to Coach Hedge again. Today I sat in between Hazel and Piper. I didn't want to meet Jason or my brother's eyes for all I could picture was solid gold staring back at me.