IV

Alessandra

ALESSANDRA SOON REALIZED ANNABETH'S HEART wasn't in the tour.

She talked about all this amazing stuff the camp offered—magic archery, pegasus riding, the lava wall, fighting monsters —but she showed no excitement, as if her mind were elsewhere. She pointed out the open-air dining pavilion that overlooked Long Island Sound. (Yes, Long Island, New York; they'd traveled that far on the chariot.) Annabeth explained how Camp Half-Blood was mostly a summer camp, but some kids stayed here year-round, and they'd added so many campers it was always crowded now, even in winter.

Alessandra wondered who ran the camp, and how they'd known she and her friends belonged here. She wondered if she'd have to stay full-time, or if she'd be any good at the activities. Could you flunk out of monster fighting? A million questions bubbled in her head but with the mood Annabeth was in, she didn't ask.

As they climbed a hill at the edge of camp, Alessandra turned and got an amazing view of the valley—a big stretch of woods to the northwest, a beautiful beach, the creek, the canoe lake, lush green fields, and the whole layout of the cabins—a bizarre assortment of buildings arranged like a Greek omega, Ω, with a loop of cabins around a central green, and two wings sticking out the bottom on either side. Alessandra counted twenty cabins in all. One glowed golden, another silver. One had grass on the roof. Another was bright red with barbed wire trenches. One cabin was black with fiery green torches out front.

All of it seemed like a different world from the snowy hills and fields outside.

"The valley is protected from mortal eyes," Annabeth said. "As you can see, the weather is controlled, too. Each cabin represents a Greek god—a place for that god's children to live."

She looked at Alessandra and Piper like she was trying to judge how they were handling the news.

"You're saying one of our parents were godly."

Annabeth nodded. "You're both taking this awfully calmly."

Alessandra bit her lower lip, she couldn't tell her why. She couldn't admit that this just confirmed some weird feelings she'd had for years, questioning who her parents were, why she could do the things she could, and why strange things kept happening to her and around her. But more importantly, her dreams had warned her this was coming. Soon they will find you, demigod, that voice had rumbled. When they do, follow our directions. Cooperate, and all will be revealed.

Alessandra took a deep breath and glanced away from the blonde. "I guess after this morning, it's a little easier to believe. So any clue who's my parent?"

"Parent?" Annabeth asked. "Do you not know which one is the godly one?"

"Nope," Alessandra said, shrugging. "I was raised in an orphanage, never knew my parents."

"Well, we should know soon," Annabeth said, giving the younger girl a comforting smile. "You're what—fifteen? Gods are supposed to claim you when you're thirteen. That was the deal."

Piper tilted her head. "The deal?"

"They made a promise last summer...well, long story...but they promised not to ignore their demigod children anymore, to claim them by the time they turn thirteen. Sometimes it takes a little longer, but you saw how fast Leo was claimed once he got here. Should happen for you two soon. Tonight at the campfire, I bet we'll get a sign."

Alessandra wondered if she'd have a big flaming hammer over her head, or with her luck, something even more embarrassing. She'd like to be the daughter of Athena, she'd get to be siblings with Annabeth. Or maybe the daughter of Hecate, magic was cool. "Why thirteen?"