IX

Alessandra

ALESSANDRA DREAMED ABOUT HER LAST DAY with Aryanna.

They were visiting the art museum that Alessandra had always wanted to visit but was never able to. Everything was going so good that Alessandra was sure something was going to go wrong soon. Her luck would never allow her to be happy.

But so far, they've had such a good time. They were relaxing at the small cafe in a little section of the museum, eating and drinking their hot chocolate. Coffee had never been a favorite for Alessandra. The Headmistress at the orphanage wasn't bothering them at the moment, but Alessandra knew she'd be calling soon, wanting the young girl back at the building because all the chores had been passed off to her. As usual.

"Did you have fun, Gianna?" Aryanna asked with a smile. She was one of the only people to call Alessandra by her middle name. The only one who truly cared about Alessandra. "I noticed you were really into the Greek and Roman sections, la mia bambina intelligente."

Alessandra flushed in happiness. She always loved when Aryanna complimented her because she knew it was true. The older woman would never lie to her, after all. Aryanna was the one to put her through all the high classes so Alessandra could learn all that she wanted. Everything was out of her pocket, and the young girl was so grateful. She feels like she would have given up long ago had it not been for Aryanna staying by her side and pushing her to her best.

"Biscuit?" Aryanna took a buttered biscuit off her plate and offered it to Alessandra, who accepted it happily, never one to pass up food. "So, we have to talk."

Alessandra paused her chewing. Something told her this was going to be the bad she was expecting. She looked at her favorite person and swallowed the food in her mouth. It felt heavy in her stomach. "Is something wrong?"

"It's about your school–" Aryanna was cut off by her phone ringing, Alessandra felt her heart drop when she saw her expression. The only person who could cause that look was Mrs. Romano.

Alessandra swallowed. She knew she should have told Aryanna what happened at school before they called the Headmistress. "Arya–"

"Cosa ha fatto?" Aryanna stared at Alessandra. Her eyes showed disappointment. "Certo, parlerò con lei."

"Aryanna," Alessandra didn't know what to say, she was sorry? She was sorry for causing the school fight and nearly ripping a girl's hair out? "I'm–"

"Mi hai promesso," Alessandra couldn't bear the look on her face. "Alessandra, you promised me you'd try to be better. What happened?" Her thick accent came out the longer she scolded the young girl sitting in front of her.

"I'm sorry," Alessandra whispered, staring out the cafe window. Apologizing was all she could do at the moment. "I didn't think the argument would escalate–"

"Argument?" Aryanna had an expression of disbelief. "You practically started a riot. There are children in the hospital right now. And that's all that's all you have to say? Sorry?"

Alessandra felt her eyes water. "All I did was tell her to sit down if she was going to continue barking like a dog. Everything else happened on its own."

"And the girl you personally put in the hospital?" The doubt in her voice had Alessandra growing annoyed. Why didn't she believe her?

"She came at me first," Alessandra said, eyes narrowing as she continued to stare out the window. "What was I supposed to do? Let her attack me?"

"You shouldn't have put her in the hospital," Aryanna sighed, rubbing her temples. "Mrs. Romano is sending you away."

"What?" Alessandra stared wide-eyed. "Where? Where am I going?"