t h r e e ▪︎ t h e a r r a n g e m e n t

August 10 - 12:09.
Three days had passed since the boys had finalised their plans, arranging to meet in town square at a quaint little coffee shop. Not only would this give them a quiet workspace to discuss their business but Jack really needed a cozy spot to relax right now. Becky and Kai had been on his back all week about meeting Wilbur..and whether it was a good idea. Why wouldn't it be? Everyone was on good terms now, he didn't understand the backlash. He was just glad to be out the apartment before another argument ensued.

Jack could see Wilbur perched in the corner, peering sternly at his laptop through the café window as he approached.

"You're late." He murmured as Jack took out the seat opposite him.

"Sorry, the editor duo were bugging me about this malarkey with you. Besides, what's 9 minutes going to change? Got somewhere to be, handsome?"

Jack almost thought he saw the edges of Wilbur's lips perk up at the sudden compliment but he was quick to hide it with a sip from the brown cardboard cup beside him. He rolled his eyes and pushed a second cup towards the taller boy.

"I wasn't sure what you'd like so I just got a latte. So, y'know, you totally owe me for not only waiting but treating you to a free drink." He paused for a second. "Handsome." He added through gritted teeth, which only made his counterpart smirk harder.

"Aren't I already doing you enough of a favour?" He took a sip from the cup, pleasantly relieved to find it the perfect temperature.

"I suppose we'd better discuss my predicament." Wilbur closed his laptop lid down and tucked it into his rucksack awkwardly before folding his arms across the table.

"Gee, what happened to the flirty man over the phone, we playing Mr Serious today?" He rolled his eyes, playfully smiling at his companion. This seemed to make Wilbur even more awkward, as he looked down bashfully. "Relax Wil, I don't bite."

The shorter boy untensed his shoulders and leant across the flick Jack's wrist. "God. I've forgotten how annoying you are." He spat, thin lips forming into a cheeky grin.

"I could say the same," Now it was Jack's turn to be awkward as he got a funny feeling in his belly and his cheeks began to feel hotter. Skinny blue jeans created friction against the man's sweaty palms. What the fuck? Jack Massey Welsh, so nervous over a little tease? "It is nice to see you a bit more cheery though I must say."

"Jesus you're speaking posh for a Yorkshire lad. Do I really affect you so much? Or are you just wanting me to call you handsome again?" He raised his eyebrows, keeping up the goofy grin and cracking his knuckles absentmindedly.

Jack feigns a sigh a raises his hand "Guilty," before taking another big swig of coffee "now, about your 'predicament'?"

Wilbur's eyes lit up suddenly and the now alive man reached around, pulling a battered notebook from his bag. "These," he muttered, quickly flipping to a page and pointing at a row of poorly scribbled statistics "are the results of our previous collaboration. 5.5 million overall views, 280K likes, a fucking MatPat theory with just the same amount of viewership? The numbers aren't too big for me, but I've been viewing your channel a lot lately Jack Massey Welsh...and I don't think you've been completely truthful. Whether you can admit it or not, you need my help, and you like it too. I mean, two homoerotic men working together is much more entertaining than a plain old man x woman relationship wouldn't you say? You get money, new viewers, and a chance to completely rebrandish yourself and bring a newfound fun to your channels. And in return? I become editor of the JackSucksAtLife and associated channels." He flipped to another page, a big double page collage. "This is a fraction of the fanart and fan theories I found after our series aired. To this day, people are trying to figure it out. I'm not saying we have to do another augmented reality, I just think with my help, we could really do something beautiful. Perhaps even become the new Dan and Phil." He looked over at Jack's completely perplexed face "without the gay sex of course, obviously. I'm only coming for Becky's job, not her man."

Jack sat silent for a moment, only moving to stop Wilbur's hand as he began to flip to another page. "I've seen enough..you've given me a lot to think about Wil. I don't think I could just replace Becky like that."

Wilbur looked a little crestfallen for a moment but once again disguised his mood with a little coffee and a clear of the throat. "I understand, Jack Massey Welsh. And that's why I'm willing to offer you a trial period. Send me the next month's worth of vids, main channel only, don't worry, and I'll prove to you that I really have our best interests at mind," he smiled wryly. Jack found it interesting how a smile could change the entire way a person looked. The same guy who had looked so dejected when he walked in now had his whole face lit up, dimples shining just for Jack. Now he was leaning closer, he could see Wil's freckles much clearer, and in the moment the other boy's words faded to white noise and all he wanted to do was reach out and stroke him.

Wilbur pulled his hand away from Jack's to snap his fingers in his face. "Are you even listening?" He sighed, staring him down."

"You say something handsome?"

That shut Wilbur up.

"I'll message you, Massey. As a matter of fact, I did have somewhere to be." He gathered his things quickly, as if if he didn't rush he'd lose them, and then sped out of the shop with his head kept low the whole time. Strange. But somehow still not as strange as the empty space seeming to suddenly fill Jack's chest as soon as he had gone.