Chapter 3

"Did the twin flame bruise paint you blue? Just between us, did the love affair maim you too?"

~~~

It wasn't long before it was time to go back to sleep. You and In-ho decided to share the small bed together. The two of you felt like scared animals, desperately holding onto each other for any sort of comfort. It was nearly impossible to sleep with the anticipation of what was to come.

When you awoke, they served food again. This time you really had no appetite, and were just picking at your pastry.

In-ho looked at you with concern. "You should eat."

You sighed and reluctantly took a bite. With your mind racing, you could barely register the flavor and texture. But you kept eating just to placate him.

Shortly after eating it was time for the next round. You and In-ho lined up and walked through the pastel hallways like before. You shuddered as you remembered the last time you were there, fear starting to permeate your mind.

You entered the room with light blue walls, clouds painted on them. Large, oversized playground equipment filled the room. The bright colors made you sick, knowing what would really end up happening to people here. Four shapes were on the wall at the end of the room, a guard standing next to each of them. The players were instructed to choose a shape before beginning the game.

You looked at In-ho apprehensively, unsure of what the shapes could mean. You could choose any shape you wanted, but it could mean life or death. He was looking at the shapes carefully.

"What should we do?" you asked.

He furrowed his brow, gathering his thoughts before responding. "Maybe we should choose different shapes, just in case."

"Okay. What will you choose?"

In-ho sighed, unsure, and shook his head, deep in thought. You considered the shapes, and after several moments decided on the umbrella. It seemed to be the most different out of the other shapes, so hopefully that'll mean you'll have some sort of advantage. It was a shot in the dark.

"I'm going to the umbrella."

You began walking but felt In-ho pull you back. Looking back at him, you noticed a conflicted look on his face. He was clearly contemplating something.

It took him a few minutes, but he eventually guessed what the game might be. The shapes reminded him of eating dalgona candy as a child, carefully cracking off the edges to get the shape to come out unbroken. If that's really what they would have you do, it would surely mean your death if you chose the umbrella.

He pulled you back, but deep down he hesitated. He hated himself for it, but for a moment he considered letting you go. If you chose the umbrella, you'd die, and that'd mean he'd be closer to winning. I mean, honestly, how likely is it that both of you would make it to the very end? He should be thinking strategically.

He shook his head, disturbed by his thoughts, and pulled you close to him.

"Stay with me. We'll choose the triangle." He gave you an intense look before looking away, willing you to believe him but unwilling to explain what was really going through his mind.

You looked at him curiously. You couldn't guess what he was thinking, but you decided to trust him. There was nothing else to go on anyways.

You waited in line for several moments, and once you got your metal tins, In-ho's theory was confirmed. He sighed in relief as you revealed the dalgona candy. Sitting down together, you watched him bewildered as he got the needle ready to carve the shape out.