An odd NightWing

Deep within the NightWing's rainforest home, on a high wooden platform decorated with beautiful flowers and lit by the three moons of a brightest night, an egg was stirring. It was very close to shattering open, the little dragonet inside desperately wanting out. She could hear voices surrounding her, both excited and full of a parents joyous wonder. "Tonight must be the night, Swiftswoop! Look at the cracks all along the shell!"

     One voice said, the soft brush of a gentle talon on her eggshell sounding afterwards. It made her shift with curiosity and stretch out again, pressing her stiff wings back almost painfully against the firm shell. More crunching was a result of it, and more light rushed in to gloss over her scales "Look! Here they come!"

     The voice squealed out again, followed up by a deep sounding chuckle. The words the dragonet couldn't yet understand seemed to fuel her with ambition, and with a furious squeak she lashed out full force with her front talons and shattered the rest of the eggshell, showering her face in sharp little bits. 

     The calling light of the three moons made it all worth the little bits of pain stinging her snout. It's power gilded over her, filling her mind with unknown feelings and images. Futures she could not understand flared out in all directions and sounds she didn't know were words swirled around in her skull. It gave her a headache and made her yelp and clap her small talons over her ears.

     A soft hiss cut through her quivering claws and she turned her head around, lifting them away while squinting her straining eyes to focus on two large dragons, their scales black as the night sky holding the moons fumbling with her brain. Two dragons she'd eventually come to comprehend as Mother and Father. "Why are her scales white?"

     The voice that belonged to her mother was quiet, and she approached swiftly to scoop her up and study her with a certain fierce judgement that scorched her scales with an unknown feeling; one that made her squirm and want to run far, far away from here. The other dragon leaned forwards, his snout soon only inches away from her own. After a long moment of speculation the dragon she would soon call Father spoke. "It seems...well...that she's come out as an albino...I can't recall if any other NightWing's were born like this. Only read about it in a SeaWing scroll..."

     Father took her very gently from Mother's sharp grip, resting her close to his chest as Mother stared at her with a look she'd only later learn was one of discomfort and ill judgement. "But she looks so...creepy! With eyes and scales like that. She certainly won't fit in with her siblings, or the rest of her tribe." 

     "I know. But at least she has a loving Mother to help her with that. And it's all genetic, it's not her fault. I trust our tribe will learn to accept and understand." 

     Father inclined his snout towards his odd looking daughter. He didn't smile, but their was a certain fondness there, covered almost by his stern expression that the newly hatched dragonet hesitated to settle in his arms and against his slowly moving chest. "I suppose."

     Mother murmured, arching her large wings majestically towards the starry sky and scratching the light wood with a faint huff. "I must announce her hatching to the tribe. They'll be...pleased."

     Silence trailed between the king and queen for a few moments, long enough that the dragonet bared her teeth with slight impatience. "But should we not name her first? So they'll know what to call her when they eventually come to meet her?"

     Pridehunter gave her daughter a very arch look. "You name her, Swiftswoop. Then you can tell whoever comes, you're better at that then me anyways, considering you named her older, much nicer looking siblings. Just makes sure it fits our little...gift, ok?"

     The daughter didn't like how her mothers words were said, even if she could yet understand them, and would most likely never remember them. Before another word was uttered Mother took into the air with a whoosh of her silver speckled wings and dove down, which hinted to the dragonet that they were high up on a platform. "Well, suppose it's just us for now, my little crystal."

     His voice was comforting almost, and he gently set her back down before settling on his scarred belly beside her. "Hm...you do certainly look like a glittering little crystal, with those moons glittering over our heads."

     She clumsily sat and stared up at his face, which was still set in that same expressionless lines it had been when he'd first picked her up. "Perhaps I'll name you Crystalhunter. A bit after your mother and a bit after your beautiful appearance. What do you think, hm?"

     He reached out a talon to her and with her tiny claws she took hold of it, studying them and rearing up on her hind legs to flare her wings at him. Swiftswoop smiled and nudged the newly named Crystalhunter, who let go and stumbled backwards with a yelp. "Little princess Crystalhunter..."

     Swiftswoop drew her back to him by her tail and helped her back onto her talons. "You're going to be fine...I'll make sure of it."