Chapter two

''You want us to go in there? I don't wanna come across as too negative, but if I was a Crank, that's exactly where I would be.'' Newt spoke as Grace shone her flashlight inside, before looking around if there was another way. 

''Well, we'll have to go through it if we want to get to the last city.'' Thomas nodded at her words as he agreed. ''I don't think we have much of a choice.'' The other boys looked at them before turning back to the tunnel.

''All right. I get shotgun.'' Grace turned to Newt with a frown as she sighed. ''Yeah, cause being in shotgun will save you from Cranks.'' He chuckled as he pulled onto her hand, pecking her lips before they walked back to the car, throwing it open as she slid in.

''Well, here we go.''

''Don't say it like we're going to die in there.'' Newt just ignored her as he agreed with Frypan. ''Yeah, just take it nice and slow.'' She looked at Thomas who sat next to her, looking out of his window. Frypan was doing a nice job of avoiding all the cars in the way until he saw something in the middle of the road. ''Whoa, whoa, whoa!'' Frypan slammed the brakes as they looked at a Crank right in front of them. ''It's okay. It's just one,'' Grace turned to Thomas with a wide-eyed face. ''so take it slow, go around him. We'll be fine.''

''Newt, please close that window. Now.'' Grace answered as Newt pulled his arm with the flashlight back inside. ''Take it slow. Take it slow.'' Thomas leaned back as  Grace shrieked, looking at a woman in front of his window. ''Please. Please.'' She rattled the door as Grace scooted back in her seat. ''Help me. Please.'' She yelled as a loud bang came from her side, looking at a Crank who also tried to get in. ''Fry, we gotta go!'' She yelled as she scooted closer to the middle seat, not taking her eyes of the Cranks in front of the window.

More surrounded them, now too banging on Newt's and Frypan's window. ''Fry go!'' Grace yelled at him as Thomas agreed. ''Floor it Fry!''

''Hold on!''

''Floor it! Come on!'' Most were shaken of by the car quickly leaving, but one Crank managed to get onto the hood, slamming his fist on the window and almost breaking it. ''Fry, shake him!''

''I'm trying!'' Frypan kept driving as the Crank came to his side. ''Hang on!'' He came close to the side, barely hitting the wall as it hit the Crank. Grace almost sighed in relief before Thomas yelled out. ''Oh, God. Frypan, watch out!''

They slammed into something as the car flipped, landing on its roof as dust and smoke entered the car. Grace coughed, as she tried to find her flashlight in the dark. ''Everyone okay?''

''Fry, cover your eyes.'' Thomas kicked his window, giving them an opening as he climbed out. Grace unbuckled her seat belt as she yelped in pain. ''Oh geez, that hurts.''

''Thomas, the door!''

''Can you get out?'' Frypan asked Newt as he banged on the door. Thomas tried from the outside as he called out. ''Fry, go around.'' Newt suddenly fell out, finally able to open his door as he fell on the ground. ''Newt, you okay?''

''Yeah, I think so.''

''Fry, Grace, you good?''

''Yeah, just bruised, you guys?'' Grace climbed out through Newt's side, grabbing her bag from where her feet had been. Newt pulled her to her feet as she looked at the boy, quickly inspecting him as she turned to his leg. ''You feeling okay?'' He nodded before they heard the shrieks of the Cranks. ''Frypan, I think we gotta move. Now!'' Grace pulled the gun from her side, pointing it at the Crank as the other two boys tried to get Frpan to move. ''Right now!''

''Fry, now!''

''Come on, what are you doing? We gotta move!'' Grace released shots onto the oncoming Crank, thankfully hitting it twice before Frypan pulled out the shotgun, hitting it in its face. ''Nice shot, Fry.'' Grace spoke as she pushed her gun back. ''Thanks.''

More shrieks came as Thomas shone his flashlight over, looking at the other three Gladers. ''Okay. We gotta go. Go, go!''

''Fry, come on, let's go!'' Newt yelled at him as he tried to shoot the Cranks. ''Fry, run! There's more Cranks than bullets!'' Grace yelled at him, running behind Newt. ''Go! Go! Go!''

''Shit, guys!'' She halted as Cranks came from the front too, Thomas holding his arms out to stop the other three. ''Whoa, whoa, whoa! Watch out.''

''Fry, you got any left?''

''Yeah!'' Frypan began shooting at them as Grace looked around for a way out ''Okay. This way, this way! Okay, Fry. Other way, other way!''

''Where the shuck do you want to go Thomas!? They are everywhere!'' Grace yelled at him as Frypan's gun clicked. ''I'm out!''

''Shit!'' Grace pulled out her own gun, shooting at the Cranks. They came closer as Grace felt her breathing become rapid, having flashbacks to the simulations she had been put in, wishing this had been just another test where she, or her friends, couldn't actually get hurt. ''Hey, get in!'' She was pulled into a truck by Newt as Jorge and Brenda yelled at them. She helped Brenda hold them off as Thomas helped Frypan into the back. ''Go, Jorge, go! ''

He floored it as they rushed out of the tunnel, Grace holding a hand to her heart as she turned to their new companions. 

''I'm impressed! You guys almost lasted a whole day.'' Jorge spoke as he looked at the four teenagers in the back, smiling at them. Thomas turned to Newt as they shared a quick exchange before Brenda turned in her seat, looking directly at Thomas.

He scoffed as he looked at the girl with a blushing look. ''I'm sorry. I didn't wanna bring you guys into this.''

''I think what he's trying to say is thanks for saving us.''

''You're welcome.'' She spoke as she leaned back in her seat. ''Hey, don't get your hopes up. That checkpoint back there, that was the city's last defense. If that was overrun, chances are the city is, too.'' Jorge spoke up as Grace looked out of the window.

''Yeah, unless they figured out some other way to keep the Cranks out.'' Jorge slammed on the brakes as the group looked out of their windows, looking at the walls around the city. Grace scoffed as she leaned against Newt's frame, the boy pushing his arms around her. 

''Funny... Spent three years trapped behind walls, trying to break out, and now we wanna break back in.''

''Yeah. It's hilarious.'' Grace looked at Frypan with a smile. ''Jorge, how do we get in?'' Jorge shrugged at Thomas, pointing at the walls. ''Don't look at me, hermano. Those walls are new.''

''Well, seems like that is the answer to all of their problems, isn't it?'' Newt turned to Grace as he kissed the side of her head. ''Mazes, cities, seems to be a pattern.''

''Well, we ain't gonna figure it out from up here.'' Brenda spoke as she went back to the car. ''Let's go!'' 

''You really think he's in there?''

''I guess we'll find out.''

Grace appeared next to the two boys, her gaze towards Thomas. ''You know she's gonna be there, too, right?'' He looked at her as she lifted an eyebrow. ''Can we count on you?'' He didn't answer, instead, he went back to the car, followed by Newt and Grace. 

The tension between the Gladers is so weird in the beginning of this book. I hope you enjoyed this chapter and if you did, please leave a vote, comment and add this book to your reading list to stay updated of when I post! See you on Wednesday!

-X Violet's-library