Chapter 14: Still I Am a Fool

Sorry that I haven't been able to update this one as frequently as I have my past stories. I've been trying to keep these updates coming quickly, but have been so busy. I hope you're still enjoying anyway, thank you for your patience <3 

May 1, 2013, Tulsa, OK

Lindsey held tightly onto the door handle, a bead of sweat dripping down his forehead as he willed the driver to go faster. He NEEDED to get back to the hotel immediately, there was not an ounce of patience left in his body to spare. He'd spent the entire day and night trying to get Stevie alone to talk to her ever since she ran out of his hotel room that morning.

After he miraculously convinced Kristen everything was fine over the phone, he threw on his clothes to rush to Stevie's hotel room and talk to her. Only when he got there, her entire crew had already arrived and he was shooed away by Karen. On the plane to Tulsa, he silently pleaded at her with his eyes to meet him in the back to talk. Instead, she engrossed herself in conversation with Mick, refusing to stand up from her seat even once. On stage, they tried their hardest to make everything seem normal, but there was an increased level of tension between them during their performances tonight.

"Thanks!" Lindsey shouted as he ran out of the limo the second it pulled into the hotel's parking lot.

As soon as his feet hit the floor of the lobby, he was a man on a mission. And he was gunning right for Stevie's suite. Immediately after they exited stage, she was whisked away and soon ushered into the back of a limo before Lindsey even had a chance to make it to her dressing room. He'd spent the last hour trying to get back to her. Seconds later, he was knocking incessantly at her door, his banging getting louder with each passing second she didn't answer.

"Jesus Christ, Lindsey!" She shrieked, swinging the door open as he banged against its surface, "Are you insane???"

"Am I insane?" He huffed out of breath, "Stevie, I've been trying to talk to you all day. Surely, you know we need to talk."

"What about?" She challenged him, hand on her hip as she shot him a look that dared him without even saying it.

"You know what about," he whispered.

"Oh NOW you want to be quiet and discreet?"

He sighed, catching his head in his hands as he rubbed his temples desperately trying to calm down, "Please, can I come in, Stevie?"

She stood staring at him silently for a good minute before finally shuffling to the side so he could move past her. He gladly did, sweeping into her room as she closed the door promptly behind him.

"You ran off so quickly this morning," he sighed turning around to face her again.

"Well, what was I supposed to do? Your wife had called and caught us in bed together practically. I panicked."

"You're the one who answered my phone all seductively!" He immediately regretted his words once he saw the look on her face. "I'm sorry...I...."

"No," she interrupted, shaking her head, "You're right. I shouldn't have done that. I don't know why I did, I guess we really let our guards down, we were getting too comfortable in our world."

"Steph, everything's fine now," he sighed, taking her hands into his as he looked into her eyes, "She bought the story. It's okay."

"Everything's fine," she scoffed, the bitter laugh that left her lips sending a chill down Lindsey's spine.

"Baby," he whispered, his forehead touching hers as he gripped onto her tighter, "Come here. We're okay."

"We're okay?!" She shrieked pulling back now, "How is ANY of this okay? You're married and I am a fool."