06 | i told you so

"you need to tell him."

"i don't need to tell him anything."

"yes you do."

"yeah, mom, you do."

lorelai, rory, and sookie were walking around the town going to the bus stop for rory and then going over to the inn afterwards. they were discussing the pregnancy that lorelai was hiding from luke for way too long. it was a good thing she was barely showing; she was a slim person and it would probably take a few more weeks for a real bump to develop.

"i've already hinted it to him. multiple times." rory held her backpack straps that were around her shoulders. "i was eating the bun from the burger i was eating at luke's, and said something about a bun in the oven then connected it to you."

"well, sweetie, he's a man. i don't think he knows what it means to have a bun in the oven." lorelai sighed, looking at to her stomach. "you should know this by now; men speak a different language. it's like...pig latin but not because they can't speak that either."

"when i told jackson i was pregnant, i was scared he was going to react in a weird way, too. but then he wanted like six million more, so there's still a chance for you." sookie said, but lorelai only shook her head.

"but you knew jackson wanted kids. four in four, remember?" they made a turn so that they could make it to the bus stop. the bus would be arriving at any moment so that rory could get to chilton in time.

"sorry, i'm not really helping, am i?"

"yeah, i know hon'. it's okay. i don't know why i can't just tell him, you know? i used to be able to tell him everything."

they made it to the bus stop right on time for rory to get on the bus. lorelai and sookie waved goodbye then began to walk a bit more around the town. they heard kirk around the corner screaming inside a megaphone.

"come get your kirk slushies! made by kirk! only ten dollars!" they rolled their eyes and started walking the other way. that man had six billion jobs.

no one in the town knew. miss patty was questioning stuff and so was babette, but they never actually figured it out. they thought she was sick or that she was getting ready to leave him or something along the lines of that. but luke knew that that wasn't true so she didn't feel the need to correct them about it.

"but you can tell him. he's like in love with you. he's never not going to be." everyone knew it except for lorelai. luke was the only person she truly ever loved and she didn't want to lose him for whatever it was worth.

she palmed her face and walked slower.

"i really have to tell him."

───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────

lorelai had to come to terms with what was going on. when the diner was finally closed for the day she insisted on taking a little walk to get to the bridge with the lake. the one luke would always fish at.

it wasn't a struggle to get him to go with her. he wanted to do it, and so did she. after everything that was going on with her, he wanted to support her more than anything. obviously, he would take a bullet for her if he really had to. there was no doubt about it.