Chapter 15: Hell Hath No Fury

Florence POV

I must admit, of all the things Hailee could've said in response to my message, her question undoubtedly brought light to what I feared most.

The reasonable and logical side of me knows I need to think very carefully about what I say next. The emotional side of me wants to throw hands. Y/n is my best friend, and frankly, I trusted Hailee. Surely she wouldn't do anything to fuck that up?

After a moment of being stuck in thought, I'm brought back to the present and realize I'm still sitting in y/n's driveway. If I don't leave soon, I'm sure she'll be coming back out here to check on me.

Before I drive away, I send one more text to Hailee.

Florence
I'm about to drive. Call me if you have something to say. But you better think about what I said.

I send the message and put my car in drive, making my way down the long path to the gate. Hopefully y/n isn't paying much attention to the delay.

I've just reached the freeway when my phone begins ringing through the speakers of my car. I don't even need to glance at my screen to know it's Hailee. Honestly, I'm not sure I'm ready for whatever it is she has to say.

"Hey." Is all I say by way of greeting when I answer the call. The first thing I hear is a small sigh from Hailee. "Florence, I don't know what you know or how you found out, but I promise you nothing happened and everything has been handled." She says quickly, her voice sounding almost fearful.

I feel my nostrils flair on their own accord at her statement. "Well, good news for you is that I have no fucking idea what you're talking about, and even better news for you...I don't bloody care!" I say loudly, a bit louder than I intended, to be honest.

"You don't want me to explain? Because I can...." Hailee starts, but I cut her off.

"No, Hailee. I don't care to hear your explanation. Y/n is my best friend, and you know that whatever you tell me, I won't be able to guarantee I'll keep it from her. Especially if you..." I continue, but Hailee cuts me off this time with a scoff before she speaks.

"Oh come on, Flo! Do you really think I'd do anything to jeopardize my relationship with her?" She questions me with an attitude uncharacteristic for her typical bubbly self.

It's my turn to scoff now. "I don't know, Hailee. Do you really think she'd be dumb enough not to notice when you act weird?" I counter. There's a moment of silence on the other end of the call, almost like I've caught her off guard.

"Now I'm the one with no idea what you're talking about. Of course I don't think y/n is dumb. She's smarter than both of us." She admits. At least she isn't completely oblivious.

"You keep asking me how I found out about whatever it is you're hiding. Well, it's a funny story actually, with a very simple answer. I didn't find out anything. I spent the day with y/n today, and she's torn up and confused about your behavior since you've been gone. SHE brought it to my attention. She asked me if she was the one who's being crazy because she's freaked out and scared!" I yell, paying no mind to my volume at this point. No one hurts my best friend.

I hear Hailee sigh again, but she says nothing. Unwilling to back down, I continue.

"Did you lie to her? Yes or no?" I ask.

"Yea. I did." She replies solemnly.

"Did you mute the call?" I ask.

"Yes." She replies, her voice shaking.

Fuck.

"Have you been fucking someone else while you've been away?" I ask, unsure if I want to know the answer but determined to find out.