Chapter#1

Chapter#1

                        The moment I was able to run, I ran away.

            I was perhaps ten years old at that time, old enough to have my personality mostly figured out and young enough to not be recognized as a girl.

            You may wonder upon why I wanted to not be recognized, and the answer was simple- I was running away.

            It wasn't like I didn't have a nice life, no. I lived in a large estate in the English countryside by the name of Springhedge, in a nice neighborhood of pleasant and equally rich people. But I didn't like people, never did I like them, and I kept myself in the nursery away from everyone else. My parents were kind, they bought me many things, but I could not love Mrs. and Mr. Garnet, they were not my parents to me.

            I never understood why I despised them so, I just did. I never called them Mother or Father, but Mrs. Garnet and Mr. Garnet. I refused to do as they asked, though somehow without being overly rude, I just politely declined and left their company as often as I could. My only friend was Bertha, and she was my nursemaid, my handmaiden, my mentor. I desired no other company then her own, because she understood my nature and was silent when I needed silence, she spoke when I needed to hear a voice, and she seemed to know what it was I needed to hear.

            On the subject of my parents, who bought me anything I desired, this being their flaw (among the many others): When I asked for a servant boys costume to occupy and amuse my childish mind, they did supply it without a question. I hid this garb from Bertha because she would have realized my intent and put an end to it before it could have started.

            Perhaps my childish nature, or my seeking for adventure, or my wish to find something more than my simple home of Springhedge sent me on my path, now that I look back to then I don't quite know the exact reason. But this was what made me who I am, it shaped my future, and I would not undo it for all the gold in the world.

            I rose earlier than my normal wake up time, earlier than when the servants were supposed to wake, before the sun had shown in the sky. I took out the clothes from their hiding place under my mattress in my crib, and I donned them. Glancing quickly in the mirror, I saw that while my body resembled a boy in those foreign clothes, my hair was a give away, and so I took my hair and pinned it up on top of my head in a messy bun and then put a hat with a low brim over this. Pleased at my appearance, I stole quietly away.

            I made my way to the gardens and then to the gates of Springhedge and onto the road, and then setting my feet upon their path I began to walk.

            Now I had said that I did not like the company of others, but that did not mean I didn't like the outdoors. In fact, I had wandered outside as much as Bertha had possibly allowed, and I knew in general where I was going. Where was I going, you may ask? Nowhere.

            The road I was on went for miles and miles, and never to my knowledge reached a town. I did not care for if I should never step indoors again, my goal was just to go as far as I possibly could and not turn back.

            I stumbled often in the dark, but soon the sun rose and I could see far and wide. In all directions, nothing but green hills and sparse trees. Oh how I loved the countryside, it was so much easier to run away there, because you could enjoy yourself in your peace and loneliness- one with Mother Nature.

            Those thoughts, at the time, did not cross my mind- No I was wondering upon whether anyone had noticed me missing and whether a search party was to be set out yet. There was no fun in running away unless someone tried to catch you, that had been, in a way, my life's theory. No point in doing anything reckless unless someone were to try and stop you from doing it. Not perhaps the brightest words to live by, but not everyone in the world is going to be bright, now are they?