Chapter#2

A few months passed in such a manor, and my weak-minded parents soon forgot their punishment for me by the time I was eleven. I then took control back of the house, wandering about it often as long as I never showed my face to my parents. When I was twelve, they let me be in their presence again and they let me converse with them if I wished it (I did not). By thirteen I was allowed to meet with guests who came to the house, and by fourteen I was allowed to leave the house (if only to stay on Springhedge grounds).

            When this allowance was made present to me, I took advantage of it and spent nearly all my time outside with various means of amusement. Mrs. Garnet often pleaded I would take a book with me, but I could not be interested in a book, most to all books bored me. I did not enjoy drawing, and I did not enjoy singing or sewing. In fact, Bertha often told me I was the least lady-like young girl in the world, and unless I got a firm grasp and admiration for what ladies were supposed to be fluent in, I would never make myself a worthy wife of any man.

            Instead, I wrote, and I wrote a lot. I wrote badly, quite badly, and I nearly burned every poem and short story I could come up with. Many days I would return to the house with ink staining my hands and dress, and Bertha would scold me then Mrs. Garnet would cry bitterly at the thought of another dress ruined, and then Mr. Garnet would stare at me with cold eyes and turn his back on me.

            Indeed, Mr. Garnet lost all patience with me, and he no longer flattered me or tried to love me and make me love him. He grew to despise me, and only Mrs. Garnet's persistence of love kept him from sending me away.

            One day when I walked back inside, he looked at my stained dress and scolded me so harshly- I could only grow to hate him more, and then he surprised me.

            "I shall send you to town soon," he said coldly, "And I shall buy you five or perhaps seven black dresses, and as unflattering and cheap as can be bought, and that is all you shall wear from now on."

            In my shame and vanity, I could hardly bear thinking of looking horrible, even when no one was around to see me- for I hid from visitors when they came and refused upon all pleadings and wishes from Mrs. Garnet and threats from Mr. Garnet to make myself present.

            So I decided there could be worse punishments and I nodded and left him bitterly behind, feeling I had won.

            About a month from when this event happened, I was preoccupied by sitting on a branch in one of the few apple trees on the grounds of Springhedge, a book of poetry in my hands (I could only read poetry books with any interest). I was wearing a black low cut, unflattering dress, one of the few Mr. Garnet insisted upon me wearing. It was trimmed with a scarce amount of white lace, very little and only as a garnish of sorts.

It was the beginning of summer, the weather was fair, and I was content as a fourteen year old girl could be. The wind blew softly through the trees, and it tousled about my poorly done up hair.

Hearing the approach of horses, I quickly looked up like a hunted animal, I had not expected visitors today. Shutting my book quickly I leapt down from my perch and grabbing my skirts quickly headed for Springhedge, but then thought that if I went there I would likely be forced to speak to said company. So, changing my mind, I made a beeline for the gardens instead.

I made it almost in time as I witnessed two men, one old and the other perhaps around my age, ride up to the front doors and dismount. I ducked down curiously, and watched with wide eyes.

I realized that this was Mr. Caldwell, and the young man must have been his son. I had not seen Mr. Victor Caldwell for four years, and he had greatly changed. He was taller, more muscular, his skin was more tan and his dark brown hair longer and less cared for. Indeed, he was a fine young man, and for a second my heart strayed-