chapter one - when cars fly

A crowd was beginning to gather in the small exhibition center. Even from behind the stage, Veronica could hear people buzzing with anticipation, everyone whispering and laughing to themselves as they guessed what it could be that Howard Stark had requested their attention for all week in the newspapers. 

"Congratulations, Miss Veronica Hampton, you are officially the best sidekick in the world," Howard Stark announced to the blonde who was currently peering carefully out at the crowd from behind the curtain separating them from the world.

The crowd that had gathered had come to see their grand invention, an invention that Veronica herself had a hand in making. It was thrilling, being a part of something so new and wonderful. But it was also nerve-wracking. She knew she was the one that would be ridiculed, not Howard, if something wasn't exciting enough or if something went horribly wrong. 

Howard Stark had worked alongside Veronica long enough to know better than to call attention to her nerves, so instead he held out a glass of champagne.

The brown-eyed girl frowned, though, which was a peculiar reaction seeing as Howard couldn't remember the last time a girl frowned in response to him giving her a glass of champagne. With her perfect eyebrows scrunching closely together, she twirled her pointer finger slowly around the rim of the glass thoughtlessly, not even attempting to drink from it. Eventually, she let out a soft sigh, cocking her eyebrow then over in Howard's direction. 

Howard held back a smile because, from all the endless hours the pair had spent working together, he knew the look he was now on the receiving end of all too well. After pestering her day in and day out for what was hard to believe to be years now, he'd become fond at extracting delightfully snarky responses from his fellow scientist. 

She was there to make a statement, as she was born to do. This much Howard Stark was sure of. Working with him, she'd begun to make a splash, make a name for herself and inspiring other women who found an interest in the academic world they were previously told they couldn't be a part of. But tonight she wasn't just a ripple in the puddle of possibilities. No, tonight she was a tsunami ready to push past any and all disbelief that she wasn't capable of doing anything a man could do. 

Any one who thought Veronica Hampton was any less responsible for these creations then Howard Stark was a damn fool, and tonight she would be proving that to the world.

So instead of dressing in her usual work style that was always a lovely mixture of feminine and over-worked scientist, tonight Ronnie went all out. She wasn't usually one for intricate designs or patterns, but she'd allowed a personal stylist that Howard had suggested to buy her a rather impressive and undeniably exquisite dress for tonight's occasion. The necklace her father had given her a few birthday's ago hung delicately from her neck, the small jewels it was adorned with glinting from chestnut-brown to honey-gold in the lighting. Then there was her hair, which somehow never seemed to be a mess no matter how little sleep she was running on. She had it in her usual tightly curled updo, but tonight she'd fashioned it with flowers and pearls, a look that she made absolutely extravagant.