005 - the accident

"See you tomorrow?" Val asked, grabbing one of Skye's raincoats from the coat closet near the front door.

It was already dark outside, and the rain was still pouring down consistently.

"Yeah." Kwan responded, "Don't really have a choice, we have school."

Val shrugged, looking up the stairs, "Lucia, hurry up before I leave you!"

"Coming!" Lucia called back, running down the stairs. Parker was a little ways behind her, struggling to stuff his dirty clothes into a plastic bag.

"Are you going to be able to ride your bike home?" Val asked, glancing down at his bandaged legs as he reached the landing.

"Probably not." Parker admitted, "Can you give me a ride?"

"Sure, put your bike in the trunk, and don't go getting mud everywhere!" Val instructed, "My sisters going to kill me if I come home and her car is all dirty."

Parker nodded before walking out the front door, gently shutting it behind him.

Kwan hesitated before turning to Val who was sliding on her shoes, "Can I talk to you about something?"

Val looked up at him in confusion before nodding, "Lucia, can you wait in the car for me?"

Lucia, who was waiting by the door, nodded, taking the keys from Val and doing the same thing Parker had done a few seconds ago.

"What's up?" Val asked, straightening back up once her shoes were all the way on.

"Could you and Lucia not tell anyone about what you saw in the bathroom?" Kwan started, "Parker's dad could somehow find out and you know that would be very dangerous."

Val nodded understandingly, "I won't tell anyone, and I'll tell Lucia not to tell anyone, but I really don't have control over what she does."

"Thanks for trying." Kwan thanked anyways, "It means a lot to me, and definitely Parker."

A car horn honked outside, and Val laughed, "Looks like they're being impatient, I'll see you tomorrow."

"Thanks again!" Kwan said, and Val smiled before walking out the door.

"Everyone gone?" Skye asked, causing Kwan to jump. It was amazing how she could sneak up on him like that.

"Yeah." Kwan replied, watching as she walked over to the fridge.

"Cool, Kiara left a little while ago, looks like we have the house to ourselves until mom comes home." Skye opened the fridge and pulled out a box of pizza, "Want some?"

Kwan made a disgusted face before laughing, "You know how I feel about cold pizza."

Skye laughed with him, "Yeah, I remember that from when we were little. You used to throw tantrums if your food wasn't the right temperature, and your mom would have to calm you down."

"Listen, I have my priories." Kwan defended, "And having warm food is one of them."

"I remember when you showed up on our doorstep four years ago because of the crash, I thought, 'I'm never going to be able to eat cold pizza again'."

Kwan's laughter died out at the mention of the accident, and Skye's did soon after. She opened her mouth to apologize but Kwan shook his head, "It's okay."

Skye looked like she was trying to figure out what to say, but before she could, someone screamed outside. Kwan and Skye both looked at each other with wide eyes. Another scream, this time louder, had them both rushing out the door.