The Spy: Pt. 1

"Wait a sec, how big?"

"First, it was like that." Dustin held it fingers a few inches apart from each other before making them a foot apart. "Now he's like this."

"I swear, man, it's just some little lizard, ok?" Steve spat.

"Steve, if it was just some 'little lizard' or whatever, why would we come to you for help?" I asked.

"It's not a lizard," Dustin added.

"How do you know?"

"How do I know if it's not?"

"How do you know if it's not just a lizard?" Steve repeated, his voice starting to raise.

"Because his face opened up and he ate my cat!"

"I mean, who knows, maybe Demogorgon's are lizards," I commented. "Maybe-"

"Ok, ok, I get it, Henderson."

Steve parked his car and we all went to the back. I hadn't seen 'the bat' since everything last year, and I was eager to see what it looked like now. Did it get ruined? Were there new nails on it? Was there any Demogorgon blood?

All the questions were a no, but hey, at least we had a bat. I still had my gun from earlier, stuck in my waistband, in case everything went wrong.

Steve still looked like he didn't want to be here, but he didn't run away. He followed us all the way to the storm cellar, taking the lead right before we got there. He flashed his flashlight at the thick doors, trying to get as much information as possible.

"I don't hear anything," Steve stated.

"He's in there," Dustin assured.

Steve looked at me, studying my face for any sort of betrayal. When he didn't find any, he tapped the metal. Still no sound from within. He slammed the bat against it. Nothing.

He whirled the flashlight in our faces and warned, "All right, listen Hendersons. I swear, if this is some sort of Halloween prank, you're dead."

"It's not," Dustin promised.

"All right?"

"It's not a prank!"

"Seriously, Steve, why would we joke about something this serious? We're talking about a Demogorgon, not a garden snake," I spat. "Now could you please get the flashlight out of our faces?"

Instead of removing the light, Steve asked, "You got a key for this thing?" I fished it out of my pocket and removed the lock we put on earlier, praying the Demogorgon wasn't waiting on the other side. As soon as I pulled the chains off, I backed away, gripping the gun handle.

Steve pulled on one of the handles, pulling open one of the doors. I clutched the gun tighter, waiting for something to pop out and tear our faces off. But nothing happened.

He appeared confused, too, so he opened the other door. Again, nothing came out.

Dustin and I appeared behind Steve, shining the flashlight in the cell. All it highlighted was the grimy steps and the dirty walls. No Demogorgon.

"Let me see that." Steve took the flashlight from Dustin and moved it around, highlighting the floor. Nothing there.

"He must be further down there," Dustin thought. What he really meant was we were going to actually have to go in there and look for it. "I'll stay up here in case he tries to escape."

I glared at him, about ready to call out how much of a coward he was. Steve looked at me, his eyes hopeful. With a groan, I pulled out my gun and loaded it, ready for whatever was going to happen.