Past

Lorenzo Romano

Dante left the room quietly to do as I said while I remained in here looking at the letter from my mom. I was beyond shock to know that this marriage contract was her idea, I would not have believed it if it was not typed but I recognised her handwriting.

I dropped the letter on the table and wiped off the tears that had managed to escape. The feeling was overwhelming because I can't remember the last time I cried, it was probably the day She died.

The tears continued to fall but I did not wipe it off. I just hope that one of my men would not enter the office.

It would be the talk of the day to see a mafia don crying.

The fridge I kept my alcohols in the office was empty and there was only two people to blame because they are the ones that enters the office when I'm not around.

My thought flew to the only time we ever had a family time. My father had come home that day without being drunk, which surprised all of us because it was a normal thing for him to either come home drunk or with one of his numerous never ending whores.

Flashback

"Mama, I got a star for being the best student in class" Marco said as he rushed downstairs into the kitchen with the badge on his Cardigan. Mother was preparing dinner while I was cutting the carrots.

"Really baby. Mama is proud of all her kids" Mother bent down to his level to kiss his cheeks.

The sound of the door opening stopped everyone from what they were doing. Seven year old me was shaking with the knife still in hand.

Maximo, my father entered the kitchen with a gift bag in hand. He was walking normally and his girlfriends were not with him.

He looked neatly shaked and dressed in his suit, which was odd. Once he saw us, he rushed over and walked to mother kissing her on the cheek.

"There's a movie showing at the cinema tonight and I want my family to be there" He said without his slurred speech. Marco jaw was on the floor as he stared wide eye at Maximo, he was also shocked like everyone.

Mom pulled away from his hold eyeing him suspiciously "You never take the family out, so why now?" She asked as she cross her hand on her cheek.

"I just want to celebrate"

*******

Throughout the movie, Maximo was quiet and obeyed everyone of our request. I was still on guard because that man was up to something.

Once it was over, he took us to the park which was beside the cinema. We were waiting in line to buy cotton candy when a young man came to ask my mother for her number.

"She is my wife" Maximo yelled at the young fellow gaining the attention of other people.

"I'm sorry, her wedding band was not on" The man said and moved backwards nervously.

Dad looked at mom fingers and the next I know, he slapped her.

"Leave my mother" I cried out holding his leg as he was pulling my mom hair slapping her continuously. The stupid people around were just videoing the scene instead of helping out.

"Help" Marco shouted as Maximo was hitting my mom. Maximo slapped his face throwing him to the floor.

In the process, the gun felled out of his trousers and I picked it up aiming it at Maximo head. One thing I will never regret in this life is when I kill him.