Interruption

Ava Romano

"Sofia is your daughter?" The words slipped off my mouth. I was confused as to why she called him dad and was hugging him so tightly. Everything that had happened today had really got me confused.

"Yes she is" Alice's voice came from behind me, she took Sofia away from Dante who grudgingly let her go.

"H-how?" I stuttered. Alice and her daughter has been staying with us for some time now and I'm just knowing this. I began seeing the signs, if I can remember, when Lorenzo cooked breakfast for the family, Dante had said something about him being a father.

I never put my thoughts into it thinking it was one of his numerous jokes.

"Sofia, come here. We have a movie to finish" Marco said crouching down to her height to pick her up. I nodded gratefully when he left the room, whatever I was about to hear might not be pleasant in a child's presence.

"We were both young when we had her, Ava" Alice began "I was only eighteen when I found out I was pregnant. I wouldn't say she's a mistake cause each day that passes by, I know that God sent an angel to me" She said eyeing Dante warily.

I was speechless.

I never knew the young child father was Dante. It was actually funny that someone who behaves as a child was someone's father.  I should have placed two and two together to know who the father was, I mean, the resemblance was there. She had the father hair, nose and jawline.

"Wow" was all I managed to say.

"What's on your mind?" Dante asked as he took Alice's hand in his, the next movement caught my attention. Alice removed her hands from his and she stepped aside, they were obviously not in good terms.

"You guys are not together" I blurted out.

"We are really working on that. I behaved like a fool when I found out she was pregnant, I mean, I was in the mafia and bringing a child into it was not the right thing s-so-" This was the first time in saw Dante stuttered, he bowed his head like he was ashamed of shat ever he had done in the past.

"He told me to abort her, to get rid of my baby" Alice finished the sentence he was unable to. I rushes over to her pulling her in for an hug as a tear slipped from her eye. For the next few minutes, we remained in that position, she kept on soaking my pyjamas with her tears.

I have never seen Alice this weak,  she always put up the confidence that I never knew she was one to cry. Dante must have hurt her so much for her to be like this.

"I'm sorry Alice" Dante looked down in shame. "I'm sorry I had to make you go through so much trouble without having my support. I was young-"

"I was also young" Alice yelled as she pulled away from me. She stomped over to where he was and began hitting him continously, trying to let her anger and whatever she bottled in out.

"I was also young, I had a life ahead of me. I was so blinded by the love I had for you thinking you were the one. You deceived me" She cried out pushing him against the wall.

"I'm sorry Alice, I will do whatever it is to make you forgive me and will show you that you are the only woman I will ever love" Dante breathed out pulling her in, she struggled against his hold sill sobbing. I remained in the middle of the room watching them both as they sobbed in each other arms.

I felt like a third wheel so I went to Enzo's bedside drawer, picked out one of his shirts and took his pillow before leaving the room quietly. I had originally planned on sleeping there earlier but with everything seems like I won't.

I hoped that he was forgiven and they sorted out their differences.

***********  ************

Poke