chapter twelve | regret

Austin's POV:

I planted a kiss on Alina's head before leaving for work this morning. She is the heaviest sleeper I have ever met, she never even budges.

I take the scenic route until I make my way to the set. It should be an easier day today, just a lot of rehearsing. Baz was making us practice the night Priscilla and Elvis share in Germany again. We had already filmed in but Baz didn't think it was a good take.

"Austin, I don't know if something is distracting you, but you aren't selling it to me. I need to see chemistry between you two or it's not going to be believable. Priscilla was the love of Elvis' life and right now you don't make it look like that."

Of course I'm being distracted, all I can think about is Alina.

"I'm not sure what you're trying to imply Baz."

"I'm saying that you've got to send that girl that you've got running around here- home. You need to focus. This isn't a request either, it's an order."

My heart is shattered. If I had to rehearse the scene where Priscilla leaves Elvis, I could earn an Oscar right now.

I don't know how I'm going to tell her. She is the only thing keeping me sane and makes me feel normal while I'm going through this. This movie role has taken a complete toll on my mental health and she is the only reason I keep going.

I'm dreading having to go home and talk to Alina.

Alina's POV:

7:00 p.m. hits and Austin's car makes its way into the driveway.

"Hi angel." I smile as he walks in.

"Hey darlin'." Austin says softly kissing the top of my head.

My heart melts every time I hear his voice.

"I need to talk to you." He says with his eyes closed.

My heart now sinks into my core.

"What's wrong?"

"Baz says you need to go back to California." He says softly now looking at me. "He thinks I'm being distracted."

"I knew I wasn't wanted there. I'm sorry." I begin slightly pacing around the kitchen.

Austin breaks the moment of silence with a deep sigh. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have dragged you into this. But I promised you I'm going to take care of you and I'm not going to break that promise."

He pulls me into his arms and next thing I know a lump in my throat forms and I have no choice but to let the tears fall from my eyes.

"I will be back to California in a couple months. I promise I'll never leave you alone after that."

I have no words.

I begin packing everything as my unexpected stay is cut short. Austin purchases my ticket back home for the next day.

*

Neither of us slept last night. We laughed, made love, cried, and talked about our future until the sun rose.

Austin slams the trunk after he finished putting all of my bags into it.

"Thank you for bringing me here." I say softly as he enters the car.

"I'm sorry you have to leave so early." He squeezes my thigh as he reverses out of the driveway.