Chapter 10

Something sharp and heated came to life in Harry's chest as he narrowed his eyes. "You not boss for mine," he said in mangled Sindarin. "I fly, you quiet, you no speak." Harry desperately wanted to switch to Westron but he saw Erestor lurking in the background so he made do with Sindarin instead.

Glorfindel crossed his arms and took a step closer so their chests almost touched. "I am the Captain of the Guard and it is my duty to see to everyone's safety, including yours."

"You see me fight." Harry raised his chin up, jaws clenched as he stared into Glorfindel's sapphire eyes. "I am good fighter. I am safe."

"Perhaps we should briefly retire to my quarters," Elrond said, appearing out of nowhere. "This is not the place for a quarrel." Elrond waved a hand around, indicating the dining hall and its many inhabitants, most who were giving them curious yet worried looks.

"Yes, good," Harry muttered, following Elrond closely. Glorfindel fell into step with him, resolutely not looking at Harry. Elladan and Erestor were not far behind and Bilbo and Gandalf brought up the rear as they all made their way through the main building towards Elrond's private quarters. Harry had never been there before, but he had little time to closely observe it because Glorfindel immediately started talking in rapid Sindarin that was too fast for Harry to completely understand.

Elrond must have noticed the frustration on Harry's face, because he raised his hand to silence Glorfindel. "For now I suggest we speak Westron, so Harry will have a chance to speak his mind."

"Fine," Glorfindel said as though he hadn't been interrupted. "As I was saying, it is far too dangerous for Harry to travel to Lothlórien by himself."

"I'd be a bird," Harry said at once, relieved he was able to defend himself properly in a language he knew well enough. "I'd be flying quickly. No one would have a chance to hurt me."

"Except whatever orcs are lurking in the Misty Mountains and who love to shoot down anything that passes overhead." Glorfindel looked like he very much wanted to roll his eyes.

"I would fly very high, out of reach of their arrows," Harry countered, rolling his own eyes because this whole situation was absurd. "Listen, I am a grown man. You cannot command me what to do."

Glorfindel ignored Harry completely, as though he was a child that could easily be ignored in favour of the adults in the room. "It is not just the journey that concerns me," Glorfindel said, giving Elrond an urgent look. "What do you think Galadriel would do if an unknown wizard bearing magical gifts suddenly showed up in her realm."

Elrond, who until that moment had only looked vaguely amused by the drama unfolding in front of him, suddenly appeared downright worried. "She would not take that well."

"Exactly." Glorfindel's shoulders seemed to sag with relief now that someone else appeared to understand his reasons for keeping Harry in Rivendell.

Harry himself was starting to understand the scope of the problem as well. He'd been told the story about how Sauron had appeared as a bloke named Annatar to give the elves amazing magical gifts. The last thing he wanted was to upset any of the elves in Middle-earth and give them any reason to attack him.

"Hmm." Gandalf frowned, his bushy eyebrows drawing down. "The Lady Galadriel would be most unkind to any who would threaten her realm. Harry would not be safe there."

Bilbo cleared his throat. "How many can fit on that flying broomstick of yours, lad?"

Harry blinked as he stared down at Bilbo before cracking a big grin. "Two fit on there. I could bring an elf with me to assure Lady Galadriel I have good intentions."