The Queen's Mirror

When she looked into the mirror, she was unprepared to find a different face gazing back at them. It glowed with white light on its pale male features. It had no body, only a smiling face.

The Queen was even more unprepared to hear it speak in a sweet, honeydew voice. "Why, it's a queen! Who would have thought such a formidable creature would be the first to pick my mirror up after... Oh, how long?" Its face contorted into a look of ponder. "Ah! Four thousand years."

The young Queen just about fainted. Who wouldn't in a situation like that?

But, before she could, she noticed white and golden swirls coming from the mirror. Those swirls formed into a humanoid figure. And, suddenly, a striking pale man was before her.

She was instantly drawn to him for he looked just like a young man she had lost shortly before marrying the king. He was her love. He had to be.

He, in fact, was not her lost lover, but a mirror genie instead. He knew this was the time, the only way. The prophecy would come true. He knew it would.

And, so, they embraced in love and bliss for the king was gone for the week. Their night together ended in the return of the mirror genie to its confines and a little embryo budding in the Queen's womb.

Nine months later, a little girl with skin as pale as snow was born.

And, well, you know the rest.

What you don't know is that the Evil Queen was much too powerful for the mirror genie to manipulate with visions and grandor, so he did his best to protect Snow White, his daughter, his pride, the future queen, and the woman prophesied to set him free forever.

• word count: 299
• votes and comments appreciated!
• This was originally going to be an origin story of the Evil Queen's, well, evilness that featured possession (culprit: the mirror genie), but, while I was writing, I just couldn't help but feel that Snow White was connected with this somehow. And then I realized it was so obvious! Why else could she communicate with animals like she was magic? Because she is! And, so, this little true origins story was born!