Chapter 1

SEVENTEEN GOING UNDER IS HOW Hazel has been feeling. Through the process of adjusting in Cousin's, going to therapy without saying a word, arguing with her parents, those all made her feel like she was plummeting more. That was until she finally finished a song of her own. The very song her new therapist suggested would help. A song about what she was dealing with, the pain she has been feeling. Expressed within chords, lyrics, and some scribbles. Though the trauma she has been going through is still there, she feels slightly relieved about her way of expressing it. She was finally going to share her problems with people, but without them knowing that it's her problems.

"There's my little hazelnut." My dad would speak once I stepped upstairs into the kitchen. I hate when he calls me that. Mitchell Parker is a man who is slightly known by those around earth. He was in a known band, until they broke apart and most of the fans followed the lead singer more than the rest. I'm honestly glad they didn't follow my dad, they don't know he's a cheating, touchy bastard. I'd have my songbook in hand, rolling my eyes and walking past him. He'd put his hand on my hip to stop me.

"Hazel, are you going to come to the studio with me?" My mom would walk in, resulting in Mitchell taking his hand away quickly, taking hold of his mug of vodka. He only drinks alcohol. I'd look towards my mom, giving her a tiny smile while shaking my head. Marianna Parker is typically more known than my dad. She writes theatrical plays. Some of them she directs, acts in, or has nothing to do with them if they were bought off from her at a nice enough price. She for one, is not a cheating, touchy bastard.

Grabbing my guitar case, I look at her. "I'm going to find somewhere to sing today." She'd smile. I haven't sang for anyone in a while, especially not after what happened. After she kisses me on the cheek, I walk out through the back door, the sound of my parents starting an argument being the only goodbye I would get from Mitchell. Asshole.

I take my songbook with my hand that's holding my guitar case. Slipping it between my thumb and the case itself, I use my free hand to pet my dog Chex. I know my mom got him as a way to apologize for the fights without apologizing by words. But I just like to believe she got me Chex so I would have someone to talk to when she isn't around.

"Don't worry, someday I'll make it so you can be allowed inside, I'm sorry Mitchell has a stick in his ass all the time.." I let out a sigh, putting my forehead to his head. His fur is soft. His lower half is muddy, making his fur stiff. "I'll give you a bath later buddy."

Leaving Chex, I walk over to my car. I close the door after placing my guitar and song book in the back, I look over the fence at the beach behind my house. I honestly do not get it. I wish we stayed in Vermont with the fall trees and big mountain views. The views were better than some beach. The only upside here is that it doesn't rain. Well, rain as much as Vermont, it hasn't rained here yet. I shrug it off, going to my driver side door, opening it and closing myself in. I take a deep breath, adjusting my mirror, buckling myself in, and making sure I can see every possible angle. I won't go out the same way you did, even if yours wasn't an accident.

- - -

WALKING ALONG THE CEMENTED SIDEWALK Hazel would have her cased guitar on her back and her book in hand. She spotted a muffin shop when she was driving through the cozy town area when she first moved here. Though, as she kept walking, she continued to overthink about performing her song for strangers. Not only was she going to perform in front of strangers, she hadn't performed for people or for herself in a while.

A cute little toon would jingle on the bell of the door once I opened it. This place really is as cute on the inside as it is the outside. Once you walk in there was a wall of books, some small metal round tables paired with dark forest green chairs. Seemed like a small study nook area. Once I reach the counter, a man smiles towards me while rushing over.